Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Newbie question about saving bevel/drop shadow creations

Hi,
    I'm running the trial of Xara 10, which I'm really enjoying using. Also enjoying the tutorial videos

I've found that it's every bit as good as (if not better than?) PS for creating text effects. I want to be able to save the text effects that I create, which would typically be a combination of bevel and shadow.

I've noodled around with the program, searched on the 'net, and searched in the forum here, but haven't found the answer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Calcat

Default Re: Newbie question about saving bevel/drop shadow creations

Select the image and export preferably as a png. Why png? Because a png is lossless and suports transparencies. From what you describe a jpg might be adequate however there will be articacts presest, that's just the nature of the beast.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hello Calcat, Welcome to Talkgraphics

Are you wanting to save your text effect as a graphic that could be used in another document or web site etc. ? if so then I'd suggest saving as a png with alpha. simply right click your beveled text and choose choose export > export png from the context menu that pops up. On the next box you want the Palette options tab. make sure that True colour + alpha is selected. click ok to save your file.

If you are wanting to save your text effect settings so you can easily apply the same effect to different text in the future then what you can do is to save your file as a template. Go File > save as > template and then you will be able to open this template file and edit your text or edit the bevel etc and either just save the document or save a new template.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Aaaah! I had had a little look into templates, but it didn't seem to fit. What a great solution, thanks very much
    Saving the text effect setting, so that I can apply it to a different text is exactly what I want to do.
    Thank you for your welcome, Angelize!

Thanks,
    Calcat

Thank you for your reply, Wizard Although not exactly what I was thinking of, and I should have been clearer about that, your tip about saving as png is great.
    Calcat

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

You are quite welcome Calcat, I'm always glad to help
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks Frances. Seems like I forget to include the part about saving the png as true color+alpha. Glad you did.
    EDIT: sorry calcat. I tried.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.