Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question X10 - Fill+ Line?

How to keep X10 from adding both a Fill and outline? Every time a shape is selected, clicking a color swatch adds Fill and outline. I only need the fill.
    Options> Right Click on color = set line color
    sadicus - Win10 ● nvidia 32GB ● XDP17

Default Re: X10 - Fill+ Line?

To the left of the color line is where you want to go to change this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fill and line fill.png 
Views:	246 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	103324
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

In addition, un-check [ ] Give New Object Most Recent Attributes (Page Options > General).

You might have added an outline color by accident and with GNOMRA enabled it will keep repeating these options. I find personally this crazy making.

I have noticed an issue that's been there for many iterations of the program. I have the "right-click on a swatch to select line color" option set. However, I find that many times (but not all times, may 80% of the time), when I left-click on a color, it selects the color for both the fill and the line, and then I have to right-click on the transparent swatch to remove the line color. This also happens in the reverse, to a lesser extent (maybe 40% of the time), if I right-click, it sets both, and I have to left-click on the transparent swatch to get rid of the unwanted fill color.

This only seems to happen when I select colors with no object selected. If I have an object selected, the color swatches behave as they should.

To be fair, I have only recently installed XDP10 on my work PC, so I don't know if the issue occurs there, and my home PC is still running XDP9.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

a while back it was decided that if you left click on the colour bar it would set line colour [for an unclosed line] as well as fill colour - apparently this is good for new users who would otherwise be confused if line colour was not changed

actually it is shit

but there you go ...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ben I have never ever had that problem. Sorry you do.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

In Designer Pro you can set Page Options > View > Right Click on Color > Set Line Color.

You can use XaReg 2.5 to change this for Web Designer. Colors > un-check Color Line Pop-up

When the pop up menu for right click color is selected, hold down the Shift key and right click to add an outline or delete an outline and to bypass the pop up menu.

The right click pop up color menu was supposed to make the program easier for new users and perhaps this is true.

the popup menu means you can set dark/light contone without using the colour editor that is useful
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

We made an improvement a while ago to set the line colour of a line (i.e. a line that's not closed and so can't normally have a fill colour) if the user attempts to set the fill colour.

Prior to this change if the user had a line selected and he or she attempted to set the fill colour nothing appeared to happen and that was confusing some users and a waste of a useful click. So I think this is a good improvement.

(Note that it also gives you a way to set line colour without using the popup menu on the colour line if you don't like the popup menu! Oh and note that you can control the colour line popup menu within the program, you don't need XaReg for that. Just go to Options (dialog) | View (tab) | Colours (section) | Right-click on colour.)

However, this is the first time I've heard that there might be a problem with this. I think it's working correctly for selected shapes but I can see that there is a problem with setting current line/fill colours when nothing is selected. I'll add a bug report.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    We made an improvement a while ago to set the line colour of a line (i.e. a line that's not closed and so can't normally have a fill colour) if the user attempts to set the fill colour.

Prior to this change if the user had a line selected and he or she attempted to set the fill colour nothing appeared to happen and that was confusing some users and a waste of a useful click. So I think this is a good improvement.

(Note that it also gives you a way to set line colour without using the popup menu on the colour line if you don't like the popup menu! Oh and note that you can control the colour line popup menu within the program, you don't need XaReg for that. Just go to Options (dialog) | View (tab) | Colours (section) | Right-click on colour.)

However, this is the first time I've heard that there might be a problem with this. I think it's working correctly for selected shapes but I can see that there is a problem with setting current line/fill colours when nothing is selected. I'll add a bug report.

Phil
    I can see how that would be useful. The situation I've been dealing with (on multiple versions and multiple PCs) is when no object is selected at all. I would prefer the program to give me a fill color when I left-click, and a line color when I right-click, and not have one affect the other, and that is very frequently not the case.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com