Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Astute Graphics

Default Astute Graphics

Here is my new avatar made indirectly using Illustrator (host) for two plugins by Astute Graphics - Mirrorme and Dynamic Corners, with more than a little help from the font
    Bouton Nouveau Ornaments* (Hat tip to Gare) (Upper Case U) attached. I like the Art Nouveau/Tribal quality of this, and it was a breeze to make even though Illustrator was involved (peripherally).
    I liked the result a lot and decided to use it as my new avatar.
    To my mind this is the way that Xara should go with its Version 11 release. The Astute Graphics products - Phantasm, Mirrorme, Stylism and others have all made Illustrator a lot easier to use, offering easy rounded corners, vector halftones, easy colour control, line width control and much more. The whole package of plugins are on offer at present with a huge $120 (US) discount. It's not cheap, but it does add so much improved workflow which Illustrator has lacked compared to Xara Designer.
    If you have a copy of Illustrator (CS5 or newer) it's worth checking out the 14 day free trial on their products, (some of which are free).
    Personally I'd happily wait a couple of years for the next XDP version if it offered anything similar to this.
    Bob.

* apologies for not supplying a link to the above-mentioned font, I was unable to find it on the Xara Xone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mirrorme.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	103320   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Upper Case U.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	103321  

Last edited by iamtheblues; 14 August 2014 at 11:26 AM. Reason: addendum
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Astute Graphics

You created these in Illustrator? Is that what you are saying?

And if so, then I am not sure why you have posted these in the Xara Graphics Chat forum Bob.

I think that if it is moved, it should be in the Dear Xara section. It demonstrates capabilities Bob (and I) would like to see in XDP with a concrete example of why (his avatar).

@ Gary, Sorry if I was unclear, but yes, I did use Illustrator, but only so that I could use the Astute Graphics plugins. As the post referred to Illustrator, XDP and Astute Graphics, it wasn't a straightforward decision as to where the thread should go.

As Mike correctly stated, the capabilities of the Astute Graphics plugins would certainly go some way to granting a lot of the wishes still outstanding, that TG members have asked for.
    So as you have more experience in things TG I would be happy for this thread to be moved to somehere you consider more appropriate.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I'll move this thread to Dear Xara.

I like that Bob and I agree it would be nice to have that capability in Xara.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.