Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: (mostly) Newbie Questions Designer Pro X10

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    If they are, you could make a rectangle the size of the area you want to keep and either select both and intersect shapes ...
    which was what I was thinking - what you can do if they are uniform scans is align them all together by the two key edges - group them, and then you only need do one intersect, and then ungroup

otherwise a lot of individual cropping - all of which needs to be done before you even start what Frances suggests..
    Last edited by handrawn; 10 August 2014 at 09:34 PM. Reason: typo
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    which was what I was thinking - what you can do if the are uniform scans is align them all together by the two key edges - group them, and then you only need do one intersect, and then ungroup

otherwise a lot of individual cropping - all of which needs to be done before you even start what Frances suggests..
    In post #7 Phurm states that he also has individual scans of each photo, that he did by taking the photos out of the album. If those were placed on the scanner platen straight and the scanner set to scan only the photo (so that no surrounding area is captured in the scan) then they should already be cropped and ready to drop into the page. I'm suggesting that he uses those instead of the full album pages. He only needs to go through the process of replicating the album background once and after that it's only a matter of duplicating the page.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Firstly you need to know what size your publication is going to be, Square, Portrait or Landsce and of course there's no standards here, you need to talk to your future publisher for this information.

Having decided what your size book ratio is going to be you then need to maximise the available area for the photographs, detirmineded by either maximimum hieght or maximum width. Then scale your photos to the photos lesser dimension.

Watch in HD

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

You folks are actually overwhelming me a bit here!!! The detailed replies, even down to creating a video are greatly appreciated and I definitely will be studying them. Please bear with me though since I am very green to this software and steps that are obvious to you can take me a few minutes to even find where they are in the menus. It will take some studying to go through all your ideas and get a decent understanding. I can be slow sometimes ;-)

I have been impressed with Dean Putney’s project (funded through Kickstarter) that you can see it at:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...man-officers-p

He has also posted a number of photos at
    http://wwiphotos.tumblr.com/

The first link will show how he handled things. By scrolling down about half way you will see that he printed his book in 11 x 17 landscape format. Each of his pages contains a reproduction of the original album page but includes extra space for retyping captions and reproducing selected photos somewhat larger.

I did purchase the PDF and I am going to attach a marked up copy of two of his pages taken from the PDF. You will see a lot of red boxes where I have covered up the photographs and captions he added, hopefully to avoid any copyright issues. You should still be able to get a feel for his general layout.

Now, though, I may have just changed my plan a bit. I had not looked at this PDF for a while and I just noticed that apparently his original album was constructed similarly to mine. I can see places where the pages have what I assume are “binding holes” similar to what I described earlier.

He appears generally to have aligned these holes when overlapping the photos and then used that area to be where his book’s binding would hit.

I think I may experiment next with doing something like this and aligning the holes and try that to see what it looks like.

I am leaning towards Putney’s general idea of showing a full album page on each book page but having extra room to transcribe my grandfather’s hand written captions for readability.

Back to the learning / drawing board!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample Page Layout - Putney.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	103274  

ok Frances I missed that... sorry
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Egg,

I’ve been through your video several times now and again want to thank you for taking the time to go to that effort. My wife was also impressed that you would do that.

Also, I’m sorry for the delay in this response. I have a number of projects at hand, yard work, a class reunion, etc all clamoring for my attention so I have been sidetracked!

Could you tell me how you did the following though? Your background looks very similar to the actual album except for the fact that my original pages are landscape. That is not of major concern at the moment though.

I am interested in knowing how you created your background, specifically including the darker, vertical “gutter” in the center between the pages.

Could you maybe send me the XAR file to look at? I am unfamiliar enough to also ask which general area you were using, bit map editor, some photo specific section ???

(Angelize – still need to go through your post).

Thanks very much again for everyone’s suggestions and efforts.

OK, hold off a bit. I just realized that Angelize has probably covered the page setup I just asked Egg about. Let me come back to this in a day or two after weekend activities are over so I can take the proper time to study the info given so far. Should have done that before posting last comment / question to Egg.

Thanks again all...

Paul

Here you go Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host