Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to create extreme long banner?

Hi,

I have been asked to create some banners to be printed on canvas.
    The length of the banner will be 6,4 meters and one meter in height.

The banner will consist of a bright green background, a color photo, some dark green letters and small posters with a wooden background.

Now to my problem...
    I need to export the banner as a PDF-file.
    But, XDPX10 does not allow me to create a page with 6,4 meters width. Maximum width seems to be around 3 meters.
    How do I do?
    Should I create a banner that is 1,6 meter x 0,25 meter and change the resoluton of the photo to 1200 dpi? I am not sure the printer can "understand" this - or allow to expand by 4.
    The printer has printed PDF-filers before so I know that that part works.
    Maximum length is no problem as it prints on canvas, and the maximum width (height) is one meter.

Please!!!
    I am in need of your expertise!

Greetings!

/Olle in Sweden

I am running W 7 Home Premium and XDPX10.
    Olle Dahlquist
    Web and Graphics Designer
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

Default Re: How to create extreme long banner?

Even in CorelDraw, where the size you desire can be created at 100% scale, I nearly always work at some sort of scale once a banner gets large enough.

There are standard formulas for determining what ideal resolutions should be. they also take into account the average viewing distance. They do this because the eyes cannot resolve pixels smaller than X amount for a given distance. And one generally does not press their nose up against a banner...and a banner is generally mounted X height from a floor.

So just inputting a value for a viewing distance of only 4 feet, the attached image shows min/max effective resolution you would need for a banner the size you indicate at 25% drawing scale. Sorry, I still haven't gotten around to being able to input cm or mm in the spreadsheet.

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001763.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	103116

Great!
    Looks nice, even though I am not used to inches and feet (besides my own feet... )
    Do you have that as an Excel-file? If you e-mail it to me I can try to transform it to the metric system.
    I have a friend who is one of the best in the world when it comes to Excel, and I know he will help me.

The banners are to be placen on a truck/lorry. So I guess the resolution does not have to be that high.
    I will also produce a test file and print before the big job is to be printed.

Have a nice weekend!

/Olle
    Olle Dahlquist
    Web and Graphics Designer
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

like mike i do the same thing
    just design it to an easy to increase scale, eg 25% 50 % etc
    remember you can always create the banner in vector and then separately provide the high res bitmap image to the printer
    he can drop it in to his software, he'll be used to doing that
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.