Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: cropping a photo

Thanks, but that's unworkable. I want to accurately crop around an object and can't accurately determine the size of the box without dragging around it first. I want to be able to resize the box by dragging the corner handles

Go to admit I can't get to work either Keith. It just locks to photo aspects, no 1:1 ratio. Am I missing something?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

hmmmm. how keith explained it is how i've always done it too BUT it needs to be a square image to begin with or no matter what you try doing to your square clipping box it will revert to the image aspect ratio. and even ctrl+drag a corner will revert to the aspect ratio too if the image isn't square (if the image is a square then drag a corner will resize the clipping box keeping it square (roughly...needs to be tweaked a little to get back to completely square ))

i don't have a problem dragging the clipping box around and keeping it square no matter what the aspect ratio is. so drag it to where you might want the image clipped at and manually adjust the sizes by a few pixels until you get the size to where you need it

or....i guess you could always frame and center your image within a square, add the two and then the aspect ratio is 1:1 so you could do anything you want then keeping the 1:1 aspect; specifically tick the lock aspect box, generate the square clipping area and then drag a corner to what you need just remembering, as i stated above, to un-tick the aspect box and make it square again if you resize it by dragging a corner because it skews it a little
    Last edited by mikeymopar; 12 May 2015 at 04:30 PM. Reason: make more cryptic :P

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Go to admit I can't get to work either Keith. It just locks to photo aspects, no 1:1 ratio. Am I missing something?
    Did you watch the video Egg. The only thing I can think of is as I said in a post earlier. Don't try and lock the aspect ratio once it's set.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
    Thanks, but that's unworkable. I want to accurately crop around an object and can't accurately determine the size of the box without dragging around it first. I want to be able to resize the box by dragging the corner handles
    Sure you can .... Drag the box to the approximate size you want it, and you can see what size the clipping rectangle/square is in the infobar. If it shows as 4.9" x 4.6", then edit it to 4.9" x 4.9" and follow the instructions. You can always see what you are clipping until you press the clip button.

EDIT:

Basically all you need to do is crop to what you want, then adjust the dimensions to be a perfect square.
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Yep, works for me too Keith.
    Once clipped to 1:1 you can further adjust the [clipped] image using the fill tool

OK, I've finally got it. Clip to oversize square first by manually setting the box size then drag the square-cornered box down to the final desired area. Thanks. I'll try both methods to see which one I like better. It would be good to have a 1:1 option though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
    OK, I've finally got it. Clip to oversize square first by manually setting the box size then drag the square-cornered box down to the final desired area. Thanks. I'll try both methods to see which one I like better. It would be good to have a 1:1 option though.
    Actually I mean't the reverse ....

Drag the box to the final desired area, and then manually adjust the numbers to make it a perfect square. Re-centre as necessary.

But I agree. If we are going to bother with specific ratio's, then a 1:1 would have been useful. Especially since you can't constrain the clip box like you can constrain a square or a circle - although I did expect to be able to do that ... It seems like standard Xara behaviour could have been incorporated there too.
    Keith