Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default cropping a photo

Hi,

After having watched the moovie on the subject ´Cropping a photo´ which is in the help function under ´photo tools´ I still cannot get the masking and cuting out of a circel area in my photo right. I guess this is due to an other DPX version but I hope that this great feature is hidden under other buttons?

What I did so far? :

I used the tools to perform the task. I applied a mask (pink) over the whole picture. I looked into the fly out menue but all I see is a rectangle with marching ants border; e.d. not a circle. I then tried the other tools in the flyout menue to draw a circle manually but my circle came out quite wobbly. I then placed a cirkel (from the quick shapes menue) over the area I wanted to crop (just to get my circle at least circkelish) I again did the cropping out by hand. The problem was that this circle was not transparent as in the moovie. I used this circle as a sort of guideline. The result was a much better circle. I then deleted the circle and had my result. It was not as perfect as in the moovie. Is there a faster and better way to crop out a circle? The book does not give me the answers because it is a DPX9 manuel.

Can you help me?

Default Re: cropping a photo

draw a circle with no fill and a 2px border over your photo
    place it over the area you want to crop
    select both photo and circle
    right click > combine shapes > intersect shapes or slice shapes, both will work
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I'm having a similar problem to the OP: I'm trying to square-crop a photo. I have used the Intersect method, but that's clumsy: draw the square shape (never got it exactly right and then the square fills in so I can't see the photo), set the border thickness then empty the fill, then re-size the square, then Intersect.

I cannot set the crop tool dimensions/proportions to a square; it always jumps back to what seems to be the original proportions of the photo. Shift/CTRL/ALT dragging does hold the proportions but never a square.

Is there a way of constraining the crop tool to a square shape? If not, I think that would be a great feature.

Perhaps this will help:

EDIT: Yes you can restrain the Clip Tool aspect but unfortunatly doesn't have a 1:1 ratio from what I can see.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg. Changing the fill transparency will make life a little easier. Would be nice to have a 1:1 crop/clip function though. I'll see if I can find the Suggestions area.

If they are your videos, thanks very much for putting them up; they are very helpful.

Here's how I do it:

Thanks Steve.

Why don't you just type the sizes you want into the cropping box ... i.e. 4" x 4" and move it to where you want it?
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Why don't you just type the sizes you want into the cropping box ... i.e. 4" x 4" and move it to where you want it?
    The numbers you type in don't stick; even if the "Lock Aspect" box is unticked. Even if you do put in say 4 and 4 then tick Lock, as soon as you try to drag the box around, the size jumps to a proportion of the original image.

If you click in the box TYPE "4" ENTER, Click in the next box TYPE "4" ENTER then they should form a 4" x 4" square - They stuck for me. DON'T TICK LOCK, leave the box unlocked and DON'T try and drag it by the edges. Once the square is formed move it from the inside of the box CLICK AND DRAG.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.