Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default DPX 10 -- PhotoLooks goes missing

"Xara-Users all sing this song,
    doo dah, doo dah
    PhotoLooks done gone away,
    O, doo dah day."

It's just so not there tonight... one of those 'gone in 60 seconds' kind of things. Talking literally. Just ain't there no more, on the FX New menu, where it was the other day, after its post-purchase download and install. What? So I went into C:\Program files, looking for Magic Bullet or Photolooks. Nope. Went into Magix, nope. Xara, and the DPX 10 part... nope. Restarted DPX 10, nope. Guess this is a new kind of product recall, it's not like you have to drive it back to Xara to get that new ignition lock. But maybe I'm having a senior moment, and it's somewhere else, on its own little flyout menu, or dedicated icon. Any ideas?

"Johnny crack corn, and I don't care...
    Photolook's gone away."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magic-bullet.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	102959  
    Author -- 'Drawing for Money' and 'Self-Publishing Secrets', at Jon404.com

Default Re: DPX 10 -- PhotoLooks goes missing

I'm of no aid to ya, Jon...

But I noticed the UltraEdit icon on your taskbar. I don't know if I was one of Ian Mead's first 100 customers in 1994, but I bet I was fairly close. Been using it ever since.

Ultraedit is just plain good. Like Jutoh. Like Xara and Ventura Publisher, back when. Gems (and Gem Draw was pretty neat, too).
    Let's see. Steve Ledger turned up the Magic Bullet Photolooks executable, it's in C:\Looksbuilder (gee, why didn't I think of that? the names, the names!). Tried two restarts, no joy. For what it's worth, this glitch is of no importance to me... I can always run that .exe by itself, if needed.

FYI -- my old friends in the tech pubs dept at Qualcomm tell me hardly anyone is using Framemaker anymore... they are all on Word now for their HUGE chip manuals. Too bad Corel never went further with Ventura... I think it got to version 10 and that was it. Microsoft Publisher has the same sort of look 'n feel, though. But for writing, i use Jutoh... and later on do the DTP thing in Open Office or Framemaker... never got used to Word after that ribbon bar came along, and now I hear they are changing it again. The more things change...

Followup -- OK! Went back and reinstalled Content Pack, and Magic Bullet reappeared on the FX menu, and Photolooks launches, in all its terminally slow vapidity. If it disappears again, I'll note that here... but for now it's back to normal.

Jon, what graphics card do you have? Also do you have a rendering method option in the File\Preferences.. dialog in Looks?

Luke, now don't laugh, but I've been using Xara for years now on a little Acer netbook, with Windows 7 Starter. Says a lot for the program that it runs so well on such a lowly PC. but the plugins And add-ons? They are a different matter. As for a graphics card, do netbooks even have them? Thanks for the help ... but basically, Photolooks isn't for me... I like doing my own photo editing, mostly with the Photo tool controls, and sometimes with outside programs like Photoshop and Lightroom. Was just surprised earlier to find Photolooks had vanished... maybe I didn't add the Content Installer properly first time around. But it's OK now.