Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Cooper Hewitt Museum's rebranding

The Cooper Hewitt Museum recently went through a rebranding, which included developing a new typeface. What's special/unique about the rebranding is they decided to give away the typeface...not something that is usually done.

You can read about the rebranding here:
    http://qz.com/225500/why-cooper-hewi...poke-typeface/

You can download the font directly from their web site here. It's free for :
    http://www.cooperhewitt.org/colophon...ester-jenkins/

There are 7 weights, 14 styles.

Mike

Default Re: Cooper Hewitt Museum's rebranding

The video reminds me of Adobe's Multiple Master fonts which Adobe seems to have abandoned.

Nice font design. Thanks for sharing Mike. Downloading the font as we speak.

Yes, Adobe's MM fonts went away. They were a good concept but were a pain to compile and work in many applications.

While I wouldn't quite classify this font as such, the better scheme is now super families. I have two super families and they are great for packaging design and other uses. This is because at a variety of sizes, a particular weight can be optimized in such a way that cannot be done with a single font.

That is unusual, and very generous of them. Thank you Mike.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks Mike -- what a nice range of weights, very useful. Boy, what a change in that tight little font world... free! Must tell my Tea Party friends to leave the Smithsonian alone, if they end up running the place. What a treat! Now, if we can just get our President to give away that Gotham font he used on everything back to 2008, o happy day!
    Author -- 'Drawing for Money' and 'Self-Publishing Secrets', at Jon404.com

Quote Originally Posted by jon404 View Post
    ...Now, if we can just get our President to give away that Gotham font he used on everything back to 2008, o happy day!
    I don't have the X-Narrow versions, but I do have 28 of the family.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001712.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	102984

Hoefler designed the first bunch back in 2000 for GQ magazine. I got these around 2007 or '08. Used them for a little work for a company at the time, haven't used them since for paying work. I think there are some sans serifs as nice or nicer on the market these days. At least to my eyes.

One of the sans I am loving at the moment is Respublika. Enough quirk to satisfy my eye sort of thing. But Gotham, and the following Aspira, are for different uses. So hey, I love 'em all!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001713.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	102985

Aspira has some similarities, I think its kerning is better by default and the hinting is better than my old version of Gotham...I suspect it is probably better with the current versions. The whole family of Asipra (a super family) I have is 112 styles.

The font of this thread has its lsb/rsb and kerning pairs set a bit wide to me...but it works. I think the designers set the characters a bit apart from each other for clear signage. Which is what I envision I would use the font for.