Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro X10 Released

I decided to upgrade for the responsive web design feature which, for me, was worth the £79 upgrade price.

I've had to move away from using XDP for even simple static websites as clients require them to be responsive. For these simple sites I can now move back from coding responsive WordPress themes to XDP which saves me time and therefore money. I'll make back the £79 in less then 2 weeks. If I didn't use the web features of XDP then this would have been the first year where I stuck with the older version.

But yes, I am disappointed there was nothing more exciting on the 'drawing' side of XDP. How much effort does it take to bundle a third-party plugin? Hopefully Xara will see their upgrade sales dwindle and start adding features that existing users actually want.

Rich
    Authentic IT - Web Design and IT Consultancy, Penzance

Those new features would've been great in the 1990s: print & static web

As an HTML5 web developer, what I'm missing is good SVG support. I don't really want to, but - for today's use cases - I may have to: switch to Illustrator

Why did we fill in that wishlist? Since four years we asked for several features and none of them were added.

For us there's no need to upgrade.

Time to look at Inkscape, Illustrator or CorelDraw. Such a pity for I had the same experience with Xara Studio wen it was released 20 years ago. And I still keep it running as a portable program on a USB stick just to draw something at a clients PC.

Considering all the negative responses and my disappointment I wasn't inclined to react at all But still I do for I'd love to hear from Kate Moir what they think the direction of the program will be. Or any one else from within Gaddesden Place

I've decided to buy a new battery for my portable drill and a couple of new shirts.

Come on folks there is no need to feel hurt. Just look at the threads here when you hit What's New most days, 2/3 are web questions. Now if you were a small software company what would you do, pander to a small but loyal group of sketchers or keep the people who are buying your software?
    Design is thinking made visual.

Oh well, nothing in there for me. Still no vector drawing improvements/enhancements so upgrading is useless for me. Guess I share some of the sentiments in here: looks more like it's a dumb down version regarding the drawing tools.

Anyway: a question for v10-owners: is the output dpi still limited to 300dpi or can I set it higher - or infinite ? can someone check it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Come on folks there is no need to feel hurt. Just look at the threads here when you hit What's New most days, 2/3 are web questions. Now if you were a small software company what would you do, pander to a small but loyal group of sketchers or keep the people who are buying your software?
    Totally agree. Xara/Magix will always prioritise adding new features that will result in greater sales and therefore greater profit. Nothing wrong with that.

But workers do tend to become attached to their tools. Well I do anyway.
    Authentic IT - Web Design and IT Consultancy, Penzance

Fred - you can type in whatever DPI you want for output.
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

if you mean export dpi Fred, you can type in a higher value, I regularly use 600dpi - always been able to do that AFAIK
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by planetsquid View Post
    Totally agree. Xara/Magix will always prioritise adding new features that will result in greater sales and therefore greater profit. Nothing wrong with that.

But workers do tend to become attached to their tools. Well I do anyway.
    Thing is that Xara started out as a dedicated tool for vector drawing and evolved in a multitool for drawing, photo manipulation, web design and DTP, resulting in a toolbox that is just 'nice', not 'great'. My 2cnts of course.