Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default move items within groups to separate layers

Hi again,

I have several designs that have groups of design elements in them and I would love to put each of these elements into a separate layer. I see how to do this element by element but is there an easier way to like select several elements at once and ask the program to place each on separate layers? I just upgraded to Photo and Graphic Designer 10 from 9 but have actually only been using 9 for about 6 months on and off. Thank you.

Default Re: move items within groups to separate layers

Hi Dawn and welcome,

I'm a bit puzzled by your question. Could you expand what you're after in a bit more detail?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Create new layers and name them accordingly.

Cut the objects you want for a specific layer, select that layer, and Edit > Paste > Paste in Place.

Continue with this step until all your objects are now on their own layers.

Egg - I think this is the answer to the question. Or at least some question.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	102859 Egg, As you can hopefully see in the screenshot, Imported layer 1 has a group in it and then within that group are several shapes. I would like each shape to be on a seperate layer to be editable in psd form as well. I am wondering if there is an easier way to accomplish this than taking each object and adding a new layer to put it on.

DawnG, try this, click on an object in the group, hold shift and select additional objects you want then if you want you can cut those objects from that layer. For safety sake now lock the layers, create new layer and paste in place. This should paste those objects in the new layer providing you have it highlighted. Now you can unlock the layers or not. Clicking on the eye to either show what in on that particular layer or when it goes red you cannot see what is in that layer. Hope this helps a little.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Actually, you can use the layer gallery to move item between layers and groups just bu dragging it around. Unless they're in a Soft Group. ( A Soft Group is a hardly known feature but sometimes very powerful. A soft group is a group which can span over different layers. Actually it's more stubborn than a normal group and should be called Hard Group....)

If you group items normally (Ctrl-G) they appear as a group item in the Page & layers gallery. One can select inside this gallery and use the normal keys to extend or reduce the selection (Ctrl+click). In this gallery you can drag and drop the item to and from groups and layers. In this manner you can very easily add items to groups just by dragging it onto the group
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layer gallery.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	102860  

As Michael says, it's quite simple:

Watch in HD

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you all so much for helping me. Things really do seem much easier than I was making it. I do love how powerful this program is, I just have a lot to learn. I learn easier by asking for help so I wish I'd joined this forum long ago.