Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default BACKUPS OF WD WEBSITES

Afternoon all,just a quick simple query I hope. When I am 'Backing up' websites made in WD (10 premium) to memory stick,Cloud or anywhere. What format do I save in if I would need to retrieve them and be able to load back into WD if I ever did lose a site. Do I save the actual WD file I have created from within WD(The little green motif WD one) or the file that I have created on my hard drive I use to upload the website (Via 'Filezilla') . Also, what is the difference between 'web' and 'xar' files. Thanks in advance.thalco

Default Re: BACKUPS OF WD WEBSITES

The .web file is the file you should use as a backup.

A .web file is created by Xara Web Designer whilst a .xar file is created by Xara Designer. They are pretty much the same but if you had both versions of the software on your system the .web file would open in Xara Web Designer whilst the .xar file would open in Xara Designer. Usually if you have only one of Xara's software programs on your system you register both .web & .xar files to open in that.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

You need to backup all imported files, like PDFs as all Xara apps do is place then in your Export Folder.
    If you lose your site then you've lost your master file.

What I do is place all photo, PDFs, and the like in a Masters Folder and save that to the Cloud as well.

If you build only using Xara resources then the .web / .xar file suffices.

As you are using Filezilla, you need to store your logon details somewhere too.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for the info folks,much appreciated,thalco