Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Generated HTML code totally incorrect!

Hi. I'm a newbie with WebDesigner, and have created a web site off a template. I removed all the graphiics and text boxes off the template, and replaced with my graphics and text. Now when I publish the website, the generated HTML code has references to the deleted graphics and text ("ipsup lorum") all over the place. Additionally, the published HTML references all the "old" graphics, and the published directories have all the "deleted" graphics files. The web site displays with my graphics and text, so I assume it is overlaying my graphics over the original.

How do I remove all the redundant HTML? It is slowing down the page load times considerably, and the HTML looks unclean and unprofessional. Has anyone come across this? Is there a way to remove all the extras HTML?

Thanks.

Default Re: Generated HTML code totally incorrect!

Welcome to TalkGraphics

What you are describing is not how things are expected to work.

Which template are you working with?

Check the layers (Page & Layer Gallery). If you click the S icon to the right of the Layer name it will show you what is on that layer.

It sounds to me like there is a widget of something else on one of the layers. And make sure nothing is linked that you did not add a link to.

If these things don't help can you upload your .WEB file and one of the members can have a look see and try to find the culprit.

Thanks for your prompt response. I've checked using the S icon, but I don't see anything that shouldn't be there. I'm using the Vue Supersite template. I can't see anything untoward, but then again, I do not know Web Designer, sorry. I've uploaded the .WEB file as requested.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics

What you are describing is not how things are expected to work.

Which template are you working with?

Check the layers (Page & Layer Gallery). If you click the S icon to the right of the Layer name it will show you what is on that layer.

It sounds to me like there is a widget of something else on one of the layers. And make sure nothing is linked that you did not add a link to.

If these things don't help can you upload your .WEB file and one of the members can have a look see and try to find the culprit.
    Attached Files Attached Files

In Site Preview I do not see any placeholder text (ollo chollo, etc.).

One thing I do notice is your white page background appears to be a rectangle instead of the page color and on a few pages, About Us, for example, the rectangle stops short of the bottom of the page. I would delete the white rectangles and make your page color white (drag and drop the white color swatch from the screen palette onto the page).

I would not use the page transitions. Even previewed in Firefox, they are slow and klunky (technical term). Page transitions such as these work best with very simple pages. I would use something more basic such as Crossfade and increase the time a few ticks. It will be less noticeable.

As for the code, I would not worry about this. The code will be modified on publication and any code not used for the page removed.

Hope this is helpful.

Interesting product, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    In Site Preview I do not see any placeholder text (ollo chollo, etc.).

One thing I do notice is your white page background appears to be a rectangle instead of the page color and on a few pages, About Us, for example, the rectangle stops short of the bottom of the page. I would delete the white rectangles and make your page color white (drag and drop the white color swatch from the screen palette onto the page).

I would not use the page transitions. Even previewed in Firefox, they are slow and klunky (technical term). Page transitions such as these work best with very simple pages. I would use something more basic such as Crossfade and increase the time a few ticks. It will be less noticeable.

As for the code, I would not worry about this. The code will be modified on publication and any code not used for the page removed.

Hope this is helpful.

Interesting product, by the way.

Thanks Gary for your time and effort. It's really appreciated. I'll have to work through your suggestion regarding the background, because when I delete the rectangle and colour the background white, I then lose the green band at the bottom.

Regarding the page transitions effects, I really don't want that, just need to work out how to remove. The worst issue with transitions, is that the complete site generates into 1 html page - and this makes Google Analytics inttegration really challenging.

My biggest problem is the code though. That is a show-stopper preventing my going forward with Xara Web Designer. If you publish (to disk) the .WEB project, you will see all the Vue Supersite graphics and code also published. It does not remove the unused code at all. Is there some setting I'm missing?

You will need to turn off the Supersite to publish individual pages.

Right click on the page and select Web Page Properties

Go to the Website tab and click on Web Export Options

Check Conventional Website

Maybe Acorn or Rob if he reads this can address your code question.

Not looking at code but guessing...

Save the file, close the application and re-open the file.
    All the items that were in the application cache should be tidied away.

If there are lots of nascent images still, open the Bitmap gallery and delete all those that are not used.
    I suspect the graphics are still on other site pages and when you Export they are being placed in the index_htm_files folder so it appears as if they are for the index page but actually they cover the entire site.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thumbs up Re: Generated HTML code totally incorrect!

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Not looking at code but guessing...

Save the file, close the application and re-open the file.
    All the items that were in the application cache should be tidied away.

If there are lots of nascent images still, open the Bitmap gallery and delete all those that are not used.
    I suspect the graphics are still on other site pages and when you Export they are being placed in the index_htm_files folder so it appears as if they are for the index page but actually they cover the entire site.

Acorn
    Hi Gary and Acorn,

First, thank you, thank you, thank you.

I've managed to get to the bottom of this with your help, and hopefully this post will help others if they come across the same problem. I cleared out all the un-used graphics from the "Bitmap Gallery" This cleared up all the un-wanted files. Now regarding the "Ipsum Lorem" that was all over the HTML - that was coming from the Mobile website and 600px website that was included in this template. Options are to remove 600px site and update the Mobile site (or remove). I removed just to check, and the code is now clean and proper - I feel like a real toffee, as it was staring me in the face all the time (")_(")o

Next step is to remove the "Supersite" as suggested by Gary, and it will be perfect.

Thank you, thank you, thank you once again. I'm now beginning to like Web Designer!!