Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Export to docx

Default Export to docx

Hello,
    I'd like to know if there is any way to set xara to export images at 300 dpi when export to docx cause drawings look blurred.
    Thanks in advance
    Javier

Default Re: Export to docx

Why don't you just export 300 dpi JPG file, and import the JPG file into your Word Document. Ideally using .DOCX export is for text not illustrations, or for text and screen resolution images. I get it if you're trying to create a Word doc as your final format for whatever project you're working on. For me using Word is a transitive step for creating bodies of text, with actual page layout done in Xara, and intended final format as a PDF. I never use DOCX as a final format, nor Word for page layout (as Word is inferior for that). I believe when you export your Xara file to .DOCX format, the export is converting the images down to 96 dpi which is the default resolution used in Word. You can import larger dpi files to Word, but only in Word, not from Xara to Word.

the docx export box will let you increase the pixel size - if you have a vector you can try increasing the pixel size - 300dpi is 312.5% of the 96dpi default, so up the pixel sizes by 312.5% - if you have bitmap it will need to be at least 300dpi in xara otherwise it will still look blurred

if you do what gameprinter suggests, I'd use PNG rather than JPG as compression is lossless
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    the docx export box will let you increase the pixel size ...
    Where's any options in the Export dialog?

Where's any options in the Export dialog?
    None that I can find.

Javier - Is there any reason to export DOCX vs PDF? I think you will have better luck with PDF.

The only way I know of to get good images out of XDP and into Word is via Acrobat. Not very helpful overall, is it? One would think that XDP should export them at whatever is their effective resolution in XDP, or have an option like in the PDF export to down sample to a maximum DPI.

Now, other than making assets for Word templates in XDP, I cannot fathom needing to get a layout from XDP into Word anyway. So it may be helpful to understand the why of it.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    if you do what gameprinter suggests, I'd use PNG rather than JPG as compression is lossless
    If the final is only a single page or a few pages with only a few illustrations/graphics then I'd use PNG. However, for longer documents with lots of graphics and illustrations, PNG creates larger files than JPG. When I work with JPG, I export at my intended resolution (up to 300 dpi), but I save at Max quality - so there is very little lost color fidelity. Also JPG can be lossy, but only if you save the same JPG file multiple times. If you only export to JPG once as a final format, there should be little compression loss issues.

I often am creating documents that are 30 - 100+ pages long with lots of illustrations. So relying on PNG files can create an overly huge final file size. When I want to export high resolution to PDF, I use PDF/X and set the parameters in file setup to resolutions I specifically require. I would do this if the final PDF needs to be outsourced to a commercial printer.

Thank you very much for all the replies, the main reason is due to I must share documents with my fellow workers and they don't use xara and many times they need to edit some part of the document, for instance I created in Xara some kind of table with text inside, the table is exported as shape and the text is completely editable in word.
    As Gary mentioned I used to exporting the images at 300dpi and then paste them into word, I was looking for a straight foward way to eliminate steps.
    Anyway all your comments were more than welcome.
    Thank you very much
    Javier

yep ignore me, sorry I must have been looking at DCX - blame the dyslexia - sorry guys

@gameprinter - yes, there can be a saving in file size using JPG which can be useful, but PNG looks good for all [normal] types of drawing, JPG only looks good for continuous tone, ie photos; I would not use JPG for line drawings; so it depends what Jvila is exporting; I like to always use the same file type as far as is possible, keeps things simple for me
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

If you need to share these document, why not create them in Word to begin with? Other than any graphic or image assets, Word is better at layout and definitely better with tables.

Mike