Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Using "Link to anchor" causes Navigation Bar to disappear off the top of the page

Another small problem I a hoping someone may be able to help with:

Near the top of two pages on a site created by WD 10 Premium, I have a number of "Links to Anchor" for items further down the page. All these links work as expected; however, after selecting one and going to the particular item, when then scrolling back to the top of the page the top banner graphic has now moved up and the navigation bar has all but disappeared off the top of the page. This comes right after doing a page reload/refresh but happens every time one of the Links is selected. Has anyone else come across this behaviour?

Many thanks, Geoffrey

Default Re: Using "Link to anchor" causes Navigation Bar to disappear off the top of the page

Geoffrey, it's too exotic to even guess.
    Either a link to the site or upload the .WEB file using a reply here and selecting the Go Advanced button.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Using "Link to anchor" causes Navigation Bar to disappear off the top of the page

Thanks for your reply. The site is: www.ganseys.co.uk

Geoffrey, first off, it is a great site.
    I have a such a jersey from the isle of Eriskay, Outer Hebrides, hand-knitted and hardly any wear after twenty years use.
    I have bookmarked your site if it ever wears out and I need a replacement.

I found the fault as described in your links in the Gallery section.
    I can't fathom the problem but it is real.
    You have a line of code (<div class="xr_ap xr_xri_" style="width: 960px; height: 10368px; /* overflow:hidden; */">) that when I remove the hidden part, restores the menu to its right place.
    I therefore suspect the page height is the culprit.

Have you considered altering the page length across the site to remove the excess white space? (c.f., the Gurnsey page)

Otherwise, all I can think of is cheating and placing your Navbar underneath your page image.
    I would put a #top anchor at the top of each page and allow visitors to select that to get back up to the top without scrolling.

While I could write a kludge to remove the overflow attribute, I would not recommend it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Many thanks, Acorn, your help is much appreciated.

The previous site had variable page heights but I always found it a chore to drag everything around when I wanted to increase the height so, with this site, knowing I would be adding more images on a regular basis, I just wanted to set the maximum possible to begin with and then gradually fill the white space.

I did consider a "back to top" link but didn't want to litter the page with them, though this might be the best option if there is no alternative. I'd rather leave the NavBar at the top if possible but might, in the meantime, do a mock-up to see what it would look like underneath the graphic.

Thanks again (and they are great sweaters !), Geoffrey

Geoffrey, I would therefore reduce the page height form a maximum to say 9000px and see if it persists.

The kludge would be a site placeholder with:
    Code:
    <script>
    document.getElementsByClassName("xr_ap xr_xri_").setAttribute("overflow","visible")
    </script>
    I have not checked this so the detail may be wrong as I normally fire up jQuery, which in this case is overkill.

Acorn

Just a quick update - I've submitted a ticket to Xara to see what they make of the problem

One final update: Acorn was spot-on regarding the problem with setting the page height to maximum and this has now been confirmed as a bug by Xara.

Geoffrey, thank you for telling us and nailing a bug,
    Acorn