Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smart Objects - inserting image into screen mockup

Hi all,

I'm checking out a trial version of Photo and Graphics Designer 9 and after searching for 2 hours online I'm coming here for help. I simply need to be able to insert an image (a screenshot for example) into a mockup image of a screen. This is fairly simple (I'm told) in Photoshop, but does Xara support smart objects to allow this kind of action?

If so, anyone know of a tutorial to get it done?

Thanks!

Default Re: Smart Objects - inserting image into screen mockup

I use Snagit for screen captures. Save the capture as a jpeg or png and simply drag it onto the page....

I just opened a image in Photo Shop, converted it to a smart object, saved as jpeg and dragged it onto a page (using P&LD9) - works perfectly.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

You don't need smart objects in Xara as Xara is already "smart" and always has been Basically every image you bring into Xara is stored in the programs memory and you can resize up and down and do all kinds of other stuff non destructively.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Not that I've ever made a mockup image of a screen, that would be fairly straight forward and easy really. I often use images and 3D objects imported as an image and included in the composition of my game cartography projects. It would probably be helpful if you included an image of what you are trying to achieve (that somebody else has done) and post in this thread. I've got some ideas on how I'd do it, but not knowing exactly what you are shooting for, it might not be helpful. Are you trying to create the appearance of a TV set or CRT display? If so, its easy to create with rounded rectangles and beveled shapes, with a cut-out window that you place your screen capture behind. Since I don't know your intended goal, how I'd go about doing it, is entirely a guess. I don't want to guess - show us exactly what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Not that I've ever made a mockup image of a screen, that would be fairly straight forward and easy really. I often use images and 3D objects imported as an image and included in the composition of my game cartography projects. It would probably be helpful if you included an image of what you are trying to achieve (that somebody else has done) and post in this thread. I've got some ideas on how I'd do it, but not knowing exactly what you are shooting for, it might not be helpful. Are you trying to create the appearance of a TV set or CRT display? If so, its easy to create with rounded rectangles and beveled shapes, with a cut-out window that you place your screen capture behind. Since I don't know your intended goal, how I'd go about doing it, is entirely a guess. I don't want to guess - show us exactly what you mean.
    Thanks for responding...basically I want to be able to do myself what these guys provide: https://placeit.net/ or for example, something like the image on this page: http://www.gelfuzion.com/responsive-web-development.php

If I purchase a vector image of an iPad mockup for instance, I'd like to be able to insert either a screenshot or image onto the screen, using Xara.

Thanks for your help!

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by shatchp View Post
    Thanks for responding...basically I want to be able to do myself what these guys provide: https://placeit.net/ or for example, something like the image on this page: http://www.gelfuzion.com/responsive-web-development.php

If I purchase a vector image of an iPad mockup for instance, I'd like to be able to insert either a screenshot or image onto the screen, using Xara.

Thanks for your help!

Sam
    Hello Sam--welcome to the forum.

In the screen shots below, I downloaded a free vector iPad graphic. Then I captured a different iPad screen and replaced the vector drawing's screen. If this is the type of thing you desire, it is very easy to do in Xara products.

If at all possible, I would encourage using vector objects for the screen, but a capture from an actual iPad screen, saved out as an image (or originate the UI in PhotoShop or whatever) and bring the image into the Xara application.

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001574.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	102530 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001575.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	102531

A mini tutorial, hope this helps. The conical fill was done in haste and wasn't the best.

Name:	tutorial.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	102532

EDIT: I see a couple of posts were added while I was working on this for you.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Welcome to TalkGraphics shatchp

All of the devices on this page (except the Windows phone) were created in Xara. And all of the screen images were added in Xara. http://www.eyeball-3d.com/

I'm not sure what a "smart object" is so maybe this is why I prefer to create device images like these from scratch.

Basically every image you bring into Xara is stored in the programs memory and you can resize up and down and do all kinds of other stuff non destructively.
    Frances - It depends on the resolution as far as enlarging an image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	260.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	221.0 KB 
ID:	102533   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	315.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	102534  

Name:	239.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	102535  

I think you need a bit more than just impose an image over a square on ipad/iphone/imac or any other "i" machine you can think of. You show a site where the pads are angled. Is this what you're trying to achieve?

Anyway, if this is what you're after here's a video of how I'd do it using the perspective mould tool.

Watch in HD
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host