Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: printing again

I have a jewel case template in Xara, but after scanning some phonographic album covers into PS for manipulation and then importing into XARA, I see the resolution on the bitmap is always 72 dpi.

Does this mean Xara will only print bitmaps at 72 dpi, regardless of what it was prior to importing?

Thanks, Mike

"You can't grill 'em, 'til you kill 'em"
    Ted Nugent
    Ted Nugent

I have a jewel case template in Xara, but after scanning some phonographic album covers into PS for manipulation and then importing into XARA, I see the resolution on the bitmap is always 72 dpi.

Does this mean Xara will only print bitmaps at 72 dpi, regardless of what it was prior to importing?

Thanks, Mike

Ted Nugent
    Ted Nugent

John's correct. Xara X loads and works with any resolution bitmap and prints at that resolution.

Screen resolution for Windows is 96dpi (Photoshop (and Illustrator) incorrectly assume the screen resolution as 72dpi - which is the Mac value and not the correct PC value). However that's only screen resolution and shouldn't affect exported bitmaps.

Anyway if you export the bitmap as a high resolution TIFF or PNG (or JPG or whatever) then it should import into, and print from Xara X fine.

A useful tip is that the resolution (dpi) of any bitmap is shown on the status line at the bottom of the window. If you resize a bitmap you will the dpi value alter, as you'd expect. If you use a bitmap as a fill, rather than just a stand-alone bitmap object, you can see the resolution of the bitmap by selecting the Fill tool, and making sure no fill handles are selected (click on the bitmap away from the fill handles) and then the Fill Infobar shows the resolution of the bitmap fill.

Thanks John and Charles. I had forgotten I could set the output before printing.

The status bar is actually what led to my confusion. I had at first imported a native PS file (psd) at 150 dpi, and the status bar said 72 dpi. However if I import the file as a Tiff at 150 dpi, the status bar reads correctly as you stated.

Mike

Ted Nugent
    Ted Nugent

One more thing to consider, Mike.

Most digital cameras save images at 72 dpi. Not sure why they still do this since the world uses Windows and less than 3% use Macs.

Be that as it may, the images as you reduce them in pixel width, increase in resolution. Printing is going to look a lot better if you are printing around 300 dpi than 72 or 96. Even on a desktop printer.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

<a href="http://www.xaraxone.com">
    The Xara Xone </a>