Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to change color of beveled shape with linear fill?

When I create a simple shape with a linear fill using a single color and then apply a simple outward bevel, I lose the ability to change the "base" fill color.
    Name:  Beveled.png
Views: 199
Size:  1.8 KB

It seems to occur after I've applied a rounded bevel. The bevel portion appears to become a separate element with its own colors.

Is there a way to Select All and change the base color with a single click? (but not White, which clears the linear fill)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: How to change color of beveled shape with linear fill?

I'm not able to replicate this in DP9 what version are you using?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Could you post a xar file contour?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Remove the bevel first, then apply the linear fill, then do your bevel again. When you apply a bevel your shape has an inside and beveled area which are separate, so when trying to apply a complex fill only one or the other gains the color effect. So remove the bevel to have a single shape, apply linear color, then bevel - it works, I do this all the time.

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Remove the bevel first, then apply the linear fill, then do your bevel again.
    Yes, that's what I've been doing ... which was the reason behind my question.

Bevels don't seem to have a numerical value ... none that I have found. And they don't respond to Paste Attributes. So, if you have two side-by-side buttons, for example, and you delete the bevel to change the color of one, it's a chore to get them back to the right dimensions.

I'll accept it, if that's the way it is ... but, I was hoping for a better way.

Designer Pro X9 9.2.7

BTW, it seems the color sometimes gets applied to both parts if you make a change as a continuation of the creation steps. After you go on to something else ... or cut/paste the graphic ... then it takes on the two-part behavior. That's the way mine are working.

If you apply a linear fill to the shape then the bevel also has a linear fill. Ctrl click to select just the bevel and you can change the fill type and the color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bevel.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	102497  

Ctrl+click sounded promising ... but it didn't change the selection on the couple of beveled objects I tried it on. I couldn't determine why.

In any event, what looks to be missing is the capability to lasso both and set the color(s) with one operation. The dialog (in my case) shows white, plus two colors. But you can only select and change one of them at a time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Replace Color.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	102498

What I did find was this: If you lasso and group the newly-created, beveled object, then Xara locks onto the single base color. Any subsequent color change to the object immediately applies to both parts. If I can just remember to do that, it will eliminate many of the "hitches" I've encountered.

Thanks for the responses.

Try clicking and dragging with the selector tool to marquee select your beveled shape. you should see down at the bottom that you have two shapes selected now when you click a colour on the colour line or bring up the colour editor you should be able to replace colours in both the bevel and and the shape.

Also you can type in what ever amount you want into the box beside the slider (most of xara's value boxes work this way)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bevel controls.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	102499  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Quote Originally Posted by Contours View Post
    Ctrl+click sounded promising ... but it didn't change the selection on the couple of beveled objects I tried it on. I couldn't determine why.
    you may find you need to ctrl+click the bevel and change it's colour first, before you can then do this for the centre, otherwise xara does not 'decouple' them in respect of the colouration
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Actually Ctrl + click is not needed at all. when you create your bevel they are indeed a special group they move together and resize together. But once you deselect the bevel after creating it you can simply click on the shape or click on the bevel to edit them independently and a simple marquee selection will allow you to change colours of both at once.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]