Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unable to justify

I set the initial part of the page to center.
    Now it won't justify current or subsequent text. If I click left justify it moves the text slightly to the right
    I click Center and it re-centers it again. I am unable to justify.
    I did click the big text T.
    Simply put, I am unable to justify anything??

Additionally and relevant, what are the black right pointing arrows?
    Why sometimes when I try to select some text do I get either a red line on top of the text, red lines around it or see a magnet?
    Last edited by Eagle Warrior; 20 June 2014 at 08:00 PM.

Default Re: Unable to justify

Did you just type after selecting the big T by clicking?
    did you create a text line by clicking and dragging horizontally?
    Did you click and drag out a box?
    Have you typed on more than one line by pressing the Return key?

It helps if you describe click and press, blow by blow, so others can understand the actions you took.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Create a new page/site and see if this works now.

Sometimes the document can get corrupted and it behaves unpredictably.

Also, try closing the program, without saving your work then reopen the page.

GW I did close and reopen the program with and without saving. It's trying enough just doing basic things with this disappointing program than again starting a new page or site. If it corrupts that easily, I don't want to keep this thing. Especially when normally simple and basic tasks like word processing, entering and justifying text won't work.

Acorn it is my understanding that you simply click the big T and then type. That's what I did until the justifying failed.
    I did try clicking that T again but it didn't help. I don't know about creating text lines by dragging horizontally. What does that mean? I did not drag out a box. Again. I thought you click the T and enter text. That worked at first. Everything was centered then I tried to justify left.
    I'm not sure what you mean by pressing the Return key. I did to begin new paragraphs. Bottom line, what kind of weird, convoluted program is this that you can't do a simple thing like change where text is justified? Either previous text or new?

I've also had this problem occasionally. Try selecting the lines of text by left clicking and highlighting - then select justify. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Warrior View Post
    Acorn it is my understanding that you simply click the big T and then type. That's what I did until the justifying failed.
    I did try clicking that T again but it didn't help. I don't know about creating text lines by dragging horizontally. What does that mean? I did not drag out a box. Again. I thought you click the T and enter text. That worked at first. Everything was centered then I tried to justify left.
    I'm not sure what you mean by pressing the Return key. I did to begin new paragraphs. Bottom line, what kind of weird, convoluted program is this that you can't do a simple thing like change where text is justified? Either previous text or new?
    I strongly suggest you open the Xara Help (press F1) and type text in either the Index or Search tab.
    You can also try Search with Justify as the search term.

Clicking and dragging a horizontal line allows for your typing to auto-wrap.
    Clicking and dragging a box provides a bounding area with auto-wrap and overflow control.
    In these two cases justification, when applied is sensible and self-evident.

Example attached: Text Eagle Warrior.web
    Click the Text Tool icon, place your cursor on some text and apply justification

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Actually I did highlight and try to justify but to no avail.
    Also, as with other word processing applications, one would expect to simply click justify on the appropriate line and see the cursor go there.
    So far, this program makes no sense. If simple, basic things like this don't work, what am I to expect when I need to address more complex issues.
    I do appreciate the feedback and thank all of you.
    Wanishi.

Bottom line, what kind of weird, convoluted program is this that you can't do a simple thing like change where text is justified?
    With all due respect, if Xara couldn't do this I suspect heavily there would be shedloads of people letting TG know and it's not a weird, convoluted program at all ... forget other programs when using any program

Click the text tool icon [large T] drag the cursor diagonally down towards the right on the page. That will produce a moveable, resizeable text area. Try entering your text there

Go to Help and type in "Text"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	102489
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 21 June 2014 at 06:39 PM.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

So, even after creating an example web file for you to try, at 18:30 GMT you chose to not open it and ignore the genuine help being offered by me and others.
    It makes no sense to you since you are not even trying.

We are trying very hard to give you the aha! moment. We have all been there.

Acorn