Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Using slice (cut) shapes

Hi All,

Using Xtreme Graphic Designer 5 and Windows 7...
    When I Arrange>Combine Shapes>Slice Shapes on an imported pdf image it removes the wrong part of the sliced image, is there a way to prevent that?
    I've drawn a line over the image, I select both the line and the image, Ctrl+4 and the image disappears but the line remains. Not what I wanted.
    Thanks,
    m

Got it...it has to do with the layering of the items.
    m

Default Re: Using slice (cut) shapes

If this happens my guess is the line is underneath the image and so the image is slicing the line instead of the other way around.

Make sure the line is on top.

Although I see you figured it out, as long as you're using a 0 point line, when you slice nothing should be deleted - all sliced content should be on page. You must select the sliced partition you intend to delete. Only subtract or intersect should remove any image. Slicing just slices, there is no delete in a slice. On the other hand, if you slice with a line of .25 or greater, the image beneath the line is sliced away (deleted).

Thanks for the reply guys.
    m

On the other hand, if you slice with a line of .25 or greater, the image beneath the line is sliced away (deleted).
    I don't think that's correct Gamerprinter, the line width makes no difference in the slicing operation. Try it with a line width of 96px above a 500 x 500 px square then centre the two. It still just slices the square along the path of the line creating two shape 500 x 250 px. The line width makes no difference

For the line width to make a difference you must first convert the line to shape.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I don't think that's correct Gamerprinter, the line width makes no difference in the slicing operation. Try it with a line width of 96px above a 500 x 500 px square then centre the two. It still just slices the square along the path of the line creating two shape 500 x 250 px. The line width makes no difference

For the line width to make a difference you must first convert the line to shape.
    Perhaps, but in my map work, I often slice part of an image to change color for the sliced selection, but a white gap appears where the line was. When I reduce the line to 0 pixels, this doesn't happen. I'm not saying you're wrong, just what I see as I work.

Not saying you're wrong either. I don't know what resolution you export your images in but 96 ppi doesn't give me a white line, however a 300 ppi export gives me a white line whether I use a 0 px line or a 96px line
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@gameprinter

that's anti aliasing I think [as a test set your view to full colour and it should disappear]

it will still be there if you slice with a 0pix line, but a lot less visible, depending on the object hues

plus anti-aliasing visibility can sometimes be cancelled out on certain zoom settings by program settings interaction with monitor settings
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Its probably the anti-aliasing. I generally export files as 100 ppi or 300 ppi, depending on its intended end use - as digital map for online platforms, or as a printable map.

Actually my most recent posted map in my Fantasy Maps thread, the 7th ward of an insane asylum. In the lower right chamber on the top wall there's a pool of ectoplasm. Although difficult to see, there's a circular area around the ectoplasm pool with a faded green to gray glow around it. This I sliced from the gray shadow layer over everthing in this map. By default, the line width is .25 inch. When I applied the slice, a white line gap appeared around the circle. I hit "undo" changed the line to 0 width, and the line disappeared. Again, I'm sure its an anti-aliasing issue, but its something that happens every now and again, as I work.

I find this issue interesting. Normally I can't recreate these slice lines. I suspect it may be to do with slicing images that aren't even pixel sizes, 501px for example, which would create a 250.5px image if sliced in half.
    View in HD
    Egg