Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Extreme newbie questions - Please be kind... : )

I recently purchased Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 9. My only experience doing any photo manipulation has been with Gimp, and only to resize and apply artistic filters. Reading through some of the posts here, I wonder if I have walked into the Twilight Zone... (a bit overwhelmed)

I purchased this software to help me improve the looks of my website that I have built using only the tools available with my webhost (yahoo). On my site, I sell hand crafted wood items specific to outdoor pursuits here in the U.S.A. (trying to be specific in a generic kind of way) I use pictures of the products that I build, as well as nature related pictures.

I hope to use this software to produce a printable logo. I want to include a manipulated photo and text. Here are the first few questions that I have...

1. Once I download type fonts from the internet, how do I utilize them in the Xara software?

2. If I create a line of text (think logo) using drop shadows or 3-d effects, how do I manipulate the angle/position of this text? (rotate, modify from horizontal position to a diagonal position, etc.)

3. Can I fill text with a photo instead of simply a color? (thinking photo of feathers) If so, how?

Thanks in advance for your consideration and assistance!

Default Re: Extreme newbie questions - Please be kind... : )

1. There's a text tool gives you access to all your downloaded and existing fonts. Once the tool is selected look at the 2nd tool bar on top of the page, which lets you change font size and other aspects of the text. Whereever you place your cursor on the page (with the text tool selected) you can begin typing whatever you need.

2. There's a 3D tool (in the same tool area as the bevel), click on it you'll find the 3D tool (it says 3D). Select your typed text, notice the + sign symbol appears when your mouse is on the text, now you can click the mouse and move it/rotate it. Once this is done you can adjust the shininess, the light angles, the depth of the extrude, etc.

3. Yes, you can fill text with a photo. First you'll need to import a photo image for your fill (unless you use any of the fill galley existing textures), select your typed text, click on the color tool, on the second bar at the top of the screen, you'll see 4 drop down menus, the 4th one accesses your included photo. Select it and the font fills with the image. You can adjust the image rotation, repeat image and scale of the image.

You could probably view some of the tutorials on the Xara.com website, which will show you what I've explained above.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06 June 2014 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks so much! I don't have the program on the computer I am currently working from. I will have to take a look this evening on my other laptop to see what I can do.

I look at my bland website and see so much I could improve, but have not had the tools to do it. Now it will be a matter of finding the time and familiarizing myself with the tools I have available.

Your response is much appreciated!

Sorry Gamerprinter I find that a bit confusing.

I hope this isn't confusing because I am showing two separate fills. Part is the default fill sliced and the other part the imported fill.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	102288
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Next to where it says 'Bitmap' there is a drop down which currently says single tile - change it to repeating.
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

wizard 509 - Thanks for the pictorial instructions! If I can only find the time and choose a text to use... My poor little brain is spinning with ideas and so little time to sit down and experiment with the tools...

Thanks Christine I wondered at the time if I should have mentioned that even though for my purpose I didn't think it necessary and still don't as long as he makes sure he is filling all of what he wants filled.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I used to use Acidfonts.com as one preferred source for free true type fonts, but the last time I tried it, it seems to include some weird font installer that comes with some SPAM product packaged with it (something I definitely do no want), so I am reluctant to use it. Though it has a fantastic array of unique free fonts, I still want to use it as a font resource...

dafont.com seems to currently be the best place to get fonts from. Huge collection, and they include information on licensing, etc. Very important when you're working on commercial projects, and there exists the possibility of financial implications when using a particular font.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com