Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Upload problems

Default Upload problems

Using designer premium 8.1.3 ...site isnt updating online though files arrive at hosts server. What files can I clean out of the host server before re-uploading...i remember that I once cleared out index and htaccess files and it seemed to give me problems.....I see current index and ht access files are older that the htm files just uploaded today and havent updated....also, when i am saving a website in xara on my own computer, does the site need to be named index...i see that index always pops up as a suggested name...didnt think i used to do that before...Thanks for your help...!

Default Re: Upload problems

The ht access folder isn't to do with Xara and not produced by Xara afaik, best to leave it alone.

When a user's browser accesses your site it looks for an index file, either index.htm [which is how Xara produces it when you publish] or index.html
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Also, when i am saving a website in xara on my own computer, does the site need to be named index...i see that index always pops up as a suggested name.
    No you can name it anything you like but you need to remember that pointing a link to a folder, whether the root folder or not the browser will look for index.htm or index.html

So if you're going to name the landing page other than index.htm you need to ensure the link points towards that htm file. Rather than www.mysite.com/subfolder/ it points towards www.mysite.com/subfolder/whatevername.htm
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    No you can name it anything you like but you need to remember that pointing a link to a folder, whether the root folder or not the browser will look for index.htm or index.html

So if you're going to name the landing page other than index.htm you need to ensure the link points towards that htm file. Rather than www.mysite.com/subfolder/ it points towards www.mysite.com/subfolder/whatevername.htm
    We strongly recommend leaving the site name as index, as this can cause a whole lot of problems other than 404s (i.e. fast publish has problems).

If you go to Help > Check for updates as well, update to the latest version when you publish this automatically saves to a temp file and upload from there to save these sort of problems

Rob,

The OP asked
    does the site need to be named index?
    . I stated that this doesn't have to be the case.

I agree that the ROOT site name should remain as index.htm but in subfolders of the site I wouldn't agree this is necessary, which is the example I gave.

index.htm is fine if you're only creating one or two sites, but if you create many with many subfolders it becomes very difficult to search for if they're all called index.htm. See screengrab, which shows I have 3,129 files named index.htm

One further problem I have only using index.htm in every sub folder is that unless you get the path correctly you can very easily overwrite one index.htm file with an entirely different index.htm file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index-htm.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	102282  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks to everyone for the advice...very much appreciated...got it all working again...Thanks again

kadip and all other new users, be aware that by default, Web Designer creates an index file with an .htm file extension. If you have an older version of an index file that has an .html extension, the browser will load that version. If there are two files with the same name but different file extensions, the browser, as far as I know, will always load the .html version.

This is frequently the cause of updates not showing up, even after a page refresh (F5 or Ctrl + F5).

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Rob,

The OP asked . I stated that this doesn't have to be the case.

I agree that the ROOT site name should remain as index.htm but in subfolders of the site I wouldn't agree this is necessary, which is the example I gave.

index.htm is fine if you're only creating one or two sites, but if you create many with many subfolders it becomes very difficult to search for if they're all called index.htm. See screengrab, which shows I have 3,129 files named index.htm

One further problem I have only using index.htm in every sub folder is that unless you get the path correctly you can very easily overwrite one index.htm file with an entirely different index.htm file.
    This is all well and good for advanced users, but for new people to Xara, best not rename the index page. This will be resolved when they update the program however.