Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Copying part of a picture

I am using Photo and Graphic designer 9. Mucking around with a house plan that is a png file. I want to copy and move elements within the picture, such as wall placement. In the old software I used, I drew a marquee around the part I wanted to copy, pressed cntrl C, then cntrl V and there was the part I wanted. In designer 9, all it copies and pastes is the marquee rectangle, not the enclosed element.

What am I missing please?

Allan

Default Re: Copying part of a picture

Not 100% where you're going here but it maybe you're creating a alpha channel bitmap, so the resultant bitmap has no content? What software were you using before?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Go back to the Selector tool before you Copy.

Phil

are you trying to select part of the png itself - you cannot do that in the xara program, it will only select the whole png - you have to draw round the part you want with the shape tool, then select both, and either slice [ctrl+4], subtract [ctrl+2] or intersect [ctrl+3]

if this is what you are doing, in the shape tool only the drawn shape can be selected - hence phil's suggestion

[you can use freehand brush tool instead - you will still need to manually select both, but you don't need to go back to selector tool, you can use shift+click to add the png to the shape selection after your drawn shape is completed]

EDIT: Although you can copy of part of the png using the mask feature, maybe that is what you are doing?

I assumed the OP was using the mask feature.

In the mask tools all ops affect the mask objects, in non-mask tools all ops affect non-mask objects but optionally using the current mask, if present.

Hence to do what the OP wants, enter one of the mask tools, draw a mask, leave the tool, Copy.

Phil

ok - in ver8 all you need do is open a mask layer, draw, copy object, paste and there you have it

if the OP is confused between ver8 and ver9 fair enough, I don't have ver9, sorry

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I'm not sure but if the OP is wanting to select a portion of a .png he should be able to do so by going into the photo tool and choosing the clone tool.
    Gary Bouton did a tutorial on this a while back. http://www.xaraxone.com/tutorials/ad...ge-retouching/
    Last edited by angelize; 02 June 2014 at 06:37 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.