Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Bad Xar V9 file causes crash

Hi All.....

I have a Xar file that has 'gone bad' on me and, unfortunately, represents quite a bit of work.... Its a technical report with about 40 pages.

There is no longer a backup either on the HD or, I suspect, in the Xara backup area (as I have worked on lots of other files since - I work on about 5 files at a time and it was a couple of weeks before I noticed the bad file!)

I have used the ExpandXar.exe app with the same result.... I.E the output file created crashes Xara when double-clicked.

If I go into Xara first then open, I see 40+ blank pages with just a few graphics on page 1.... Once this bad file is opened, any other open Xara files also go 'blank' and I have to quit xara and re-open the 'good' files....

I'm guessing its a call to Xara tbh

It's not the end of the world because I have various PDFs created at points in time and I can recreate most of the report from this at a pinch. Its just a bit of a pain.

It would be nice to try and recover the xar file in some way if possible.... I have no idea what I did to corrupt the file and am worried it may happen again tbh...

Anyway, thanks for any help--- or even 'tea n sympathy'

Julian

Oh ps - V9.2.2 ---- but does the same with all my old versions too

Default Re: Bad Xar V9 file causes crash

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Sorry to hear about this. Not good.

Your best bet is to file a support ticket with Xara at http://support.xara.com They might be able to sort the problem and get the file to work again.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics

Sorry to hear about this. Not good.

Your best bet is to file a support ticket with Xara at http://support.xara.com They might be able to sort the problem and get the file to work again.

Thanks Gary

Yep.... guess you are right.... will do

Julian

Just a long shot, have you earlier versions of Xara? What happens if you try opening it in this? It'll give you warnings but just ignore them. As I said, it's a long shot.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Just a long shot, have you earlier versions of Xara? What happens if you try opening it in this? It'll give you warnings but just ignore them. As I said, it's a long shot.
    Hi Egg.... thanks for the reply...

Yes I started at v5 and tend to try and keep old versions on my machine/s.... I've gone back a couple of versions with no luck unfortunately.

Given that the report will be needed soon I may recreate it from pdf...however I'll raise the problem with Xara because it may help the Developers if not me.

Julian

Just to feed back....

I submitted a support ticket yesterday and, upon checking, this morning, I have a recovered xar file. I am a VERY happy bunny as I thought I'd lost a few weeks of work.

Not sure what they did but it was confirmed as a problem file and will be passed to the Developers....maybe it will help future versions

Anyway, thanks again

Julian

Pleased to hear that.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Good news!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host