Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Okay, Photoshop *compatible* programs as well as Photoshop can produce 3D effects for those of us who either don't have the time or budget for true 3D explorations. Examples: at top of the following image is flaming Pear's Blade Pro...also terrific for realistic textures. at middle, auto F/X Gel...hmm, what operating system uses this technique as a logo [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ? At bottom, Auto f/x Liquid metal...VERY realistic when used with simple bold text such as Futura or Antique Olive.

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fx.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	16430  

Additionally, you can download a standalone version of John Knool's CyberMesh filter for free, Mac and/or Windows.

http://www.puffindesigns.com/support/downloads/

Cybermesh turns pixel brightness in an image into bump height in a DXF model.

And, Andromeda's 3D filter works in Photoshop and Photoshop-compatible environments to create spheres, slabs, and cylinders, like the ones I put together in the image here, using a wood image map.

Tell me the composition doesn't look as though it was created in a modeling app.

'course, I still prefer a genuine modeling/rendering application, but I needed to point out alternatives here.

My Best,

Gary David Bouton

Name:	mesh_3d.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	15351  

Here's a sampling of the KPT filters for Photoshop after Fractal Design inherited the name. They have nothing to do with KPT 3 filters or before...all the coding/inventing was done at Fractal Design.

The Noiz filter is great for generating natural fractals. I mapped one such fractal onto a distorted sphere here as a bump map.

Scene Builder is a tiny rendering engine that takes obj. files. A lot of models are shipped with the filter.

The Orbits filter is good for making spheres and that's about it, but they look 3D.

Finally, the KPT X Gel filter is my favorite of the bunch.

My Best,
    Gary David Bouton

Name:	kpt_fakups.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	18127  

Interesting stuff Gare [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]