Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I sketch wit pencil charcoal anything you name it. I draw on the computer vector and imaging. I can do all that but how does one star to learn 3D design? What programs are best for beginners? I have a very low budget as I am a college student and well all college kids are poor. Help! Please can anyone give me advice...I look at all the pictures people make and I want to be able to do that.

thanks a lot...

-Da Weed

'Create, Design, Money'
    'Create, Design, Money'

I sketch wit pencil charcoal anything you name it. I draw on the computer vector and imaging. I can do all that but how does one star to learn 3D design? What programs are best for beginners? I have a very low budget as I am a college student and well all college kids are poor. Help! Please can anyone give me advice...I look at all the pictures people make and I want to be able to do that.

thanks a lot...

-Da Weed

'Create, Design, Money'
    'Create, Design, Money'

Hello Weed,

You could create your 3D models (characters, objects) with Wings , which is a free modeler, or with Silo which is even easier to learn and very cheap (109 US$), and render them (create images with them) in some free programs like those mentioned here .
    I think there is also a free version of TrueSpace which can render fairly well, but perhaps somebody here could remember where it can be found.

kindly,
    ivan

My mini-tutorials
    botarosa

There's only one good choice if you ask me; wings 3D
    It's free, even those who use professional modeling programs use it now and then and it has great modeling tools. They also have a forum where you get all the support you need. What more do you want?

I downloaded wings, its real easy to learn. How do you get textures onto the images? with renderers or whatever ur saying lol i dont know anything about this.....so once i have my basic object how do u get color n all that good stuff onto it?.....

'Create, Design, Money'
    'Create, Design, Money'

help!!!!!! how do u ass textures and make ur creation from wings 3d look good..i heard u can render it in blender????? i just want some color on my picture! my heads spining!

'Create, Design, Money'
    'Create, Design, Money'

I don't know much about Wings, as far as I can tell you right click in the geometry window to open the floating menu, click on material, give the material a name and click OK, a materials property window will open, click on anyone of the boxes and pick a color for that property, assign the material to some of the faces on your object.

try this link as well.
    http://pub161.ezboard.com/bnendowingsmirai

Hi Weed...

Select the faces you wish to color a specific color...

go up into Window>Outliner

you should now have the outliner window open...

left click select "default", then right click and choose "duplicate"...

now left click select on the new "default 2", right click and "rename" to whatever you will be calling this new color....

now left click on this new name, then right click and choose "edit material"... then in the new window which pops up, choose say "diffuse" by left clicking the little white color box beside same, and go for making the color you are looking for... do an "ok". and another... then right click on the named color and choose "assign to selection"

It sounds like a lot, mainly becuase it is eh ... this coloring thing in Wings is hoky at best eh, but.... it works, and once ya get used to it, well... it is pretty easy after a few attempts....

* note* when you left click select a color, then right click to "edit material", you will notice that there are a couple of sliders there, one for "shininess", and one for "opacity"...

slide the one for opacity down to say fifty percent and hit ok.... now hit shift/tab together and you will notice that color on you model is now showing the transparent property...

"2nd note" also notice that when you left click to select material, that you may also "select" by material choice.... very handy indeed

have fun...

when ur done wit ur image....how do u export say into a jpg or some image file......i see options just to export into another program or something i dunno....??

'Create, Design, Money'
    'Create, Design, Money'

Well, on the windows platform I suppose all ya have to do is just hit hit "Print Screen" key on the ole keyboard, which copies to clipboard, then just open your fav image editor, open a new canvas, and "paste" as a new object/layer via "ctrl/v", then go nuts