Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Problem Creating Seamless Fills - help needed!

you can make a bitmap copy at 300dpi - you can set the internal bitmap copy dpi to 300 dpi permanently [not just session as with export] but you need to change registry key to do it

save the texture out, yes of course...

Is there any time anybody would want a white pixel added to the edge of an exported image.

Why would Xara not simply round down to the closest number of full pixels when exporting?
    Would be a good fix as fractional pixels happen all the time when working in other units and as a user I don't want to have to think on this, I just what nice clean exported images

if you round down to the nearest pixel, what happens if your pixels are oblong rectangles or dots [usually the case] - you get gaps - even square pixels will cause gaps on a curve - those gaps are usually filled with part transparent pixels to avoid a stepped/jagged edge [a process known as anti-aliasing]

just so happens that in this case it is causing an unwanted clash and become visible - no system covers every eventuality

As long as those gaps aren't on the edges it might not be a problem. I often create seamless textures that are also partly transparent saved as a PNG file with Alpha channel.

could be

as anyone who has had to contend with moiré patterns or who has seen how a colour can appear to change simply by being placed next to a different colour will know, what we see is often rather subjective

in this instance I think it is the overlapping of the fading out of the transparent pixels that is causing the problem because they are both exactly the same tile, so rather like moiré in a way - but I could of course be completely wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Peteroz1 View Post
    Is there any time anybody would want a white pixel added to the edge of an exported image.

Why would Xara not simply round down to the closest number of full pixels when exporting?
    Would be a good fix as fractional pixels happen all the time when working in other units and as a user I don't want to have to think on this, I just what nice clean exported images
    As has been said in this thread and before, copy your art to a new Photo document (File, New, Photo document) and export from there. The application will make slight adjustment and round partial pixels to a whole number.

When I need to hit a target explicitly and rounding up/down would interfere with that, it is easy in the photo document to make that sizing.

Please note that making a bitmap copy in at least XDP, even though the dialog box shows whole pixels (i.e. rounding) the bitmap copy is still fractions of a pixel off.

that applies to the export too ... ?

handrawn...no, exporting out rounds the pixels. I was referring to making a bitmap copy.

BTW, in the Blank Photo document, resizing by the center handles (width, height) will always result in even pixels.

even if you make the bitmap copy in a blank photo document...?

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    even if you make the bitmap copy in a blank photo document...?
    I dunno. Why don't you simply do it and tell us?