Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

For this one I took one of my simple pencil sketches and applied stained glass transparency (0%) and then applied a drop shadow. I find it interesting how it results in a image that doesn't quite look like it was done as a computer graphic. At the same time it doesn't appear as a traditional pencil sketch. 'Mixed media' is, I suppose, the appropriate description. I think the technique has potential for web graphics. A site developed using the approach could have a simple elegance. What do you think?

Regards, Ross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pencilsketch.jpg 
Views:	614 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	11456  

For this one I took one of my simple pencil sketches and applied stained glass transparency (0%) and then applied a drop shadow. I find it interesting how it results in a image that doesn't quite look like it was done as a computer graphic. At the same time it doesn't appear as a traditional pencil sketch. 'Mixed media' is, I suppose, the appropriate description. I think the technique has potential for web graphics. A site developed using the approach could have a simple elegance. What do you think?

Regards, Ross

Hey, am I the only one around here tonight???? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    Anyway, yes, Ross, it does have a simplicity to it which could make an elegant page design for some subject matter. It reminds me of a type of painting or ink drawing which was done long ago on glass, then sometimes I think I've seen colored backgrounds placed behind the glass, at times it was even painted or dyed silk fabric, and gave it an interesting look. This is if you could pencil or charcoal sketch on glass! Lots of possibilities here I think! I like the plain sketch on white though, the simplicity is elegant.

---As The Crow Flies---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

with adding a few splashes of colour to the sketch but decided against that approach.

When I look at the xarafied sketch it makes me realize I usually overwork things. I like simplicity but it so often escapes me. I'll keep looking. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It is late here in NS, I must go to bed now. Goodnight.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

when you say "a pencil sketch", do you mean the Xara "pencil" or did you can something in and trace it?

Marcus Geduld
    { email me } { visit me }
    Marcus Geduld
    { email me } { visit me }

I like it!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Question, is that a dog running or a large rat?? Sorry, couldn't resist, it really looks like a pet warf rat [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I know, I know, it's a scetch, but I couldn't resist. It made me giggle a bit.

I like the effect ALLOT!!

If that was done on paper and scanned in how, pray tell, did you get the effects applied to the scetch like that???

*Hey, am I the only one around here tonight????*
    Hi Maya, I'm here, kinda, I am at work, working more artistic magic on a client I haven't seen in 8 years!! Had allot of mistakes to fix, WHEW!!!

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi Ross,

I like the effect you've achieved with the sketch and the drop shadow. It looks vaguely familiar but I can't remember where or when I've seen anything like it.

Great work as always.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Very nice, like oil pastel on glass!

Kindly,
    ivan

Location: small park in Copenhagen Denmark 16 years ago (yikes!). Graphite pencil on paper. Years pass: wife, two kids, stationwagon, and a dog. Scanned in as a greyscale image. Imported into Xara. 'Sharpen' bitmap effect applied. Transparency set to 'stained glass' (0%) effectively making the images white colour invisible. Standard wall shadow applied. Posted to Forum for discussion.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

using the glow shadow, Ross? If you changed the glow back to black or sepia I should think it would give the sketch more of a soft water color look.

You could also use the right click on a color trick to make the bitmap into a sepia colored bitmap and then try the glow shadow.

Anyway, interesting technique to be sure.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone