Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to post an animated GIF?

The manage attachment feature indicates that GIF is an accepted file format. Yet, attaching a GIF converts it to a JPG.

Is there a different procedure for animated GIFs? Is ZIP the answer?

Thanks for any assistance.

Default Re: How to post an animated GIF?

I think there is a way to do this. I'll try to see if someone here remembers how to embed the GIF.

There's no problem uplaoding animated gif's to TG. See below. Why your's is being converted to a jpg I've no idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I posted my example as a ZIP. Can you extract the file and post it to the thread from your PC?

I'd begin to suspect a browser-related condition if your post works. I run Pale Moon, a derivative of FireFox. But I've never encountered a problem like this.

Here's your (cut down) animation. (if TG allows for such a large file size).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bad-gif.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	102091  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

That's the answer. Your gif , even reduced in size is 2Mb+ and TG won't host it at that size & converts it to jpg.

Here's the gif without the filesize restriction.:
    http://www.parkeston.com/fun/big-gif/bad-gif.gif

But 2 Mb+ is not the way to create an animation
    Egg

I think we're talking different things. My original GIF was just over 90 Kbytes. And you're saying the Xara-cropped result was over 2 Mbytes.

So, I see why your result wouldn't post ... but not why my original wouldn't.

Did you try to unzip and post my original? (it should have unzipped to 91,352 bytes)

Wild guess, the original GIF image has more than 256 colours and because of that is converted to JPG file on upload. (GIF file can have 256 colours per frame but every frame can have own palette.)

No that's not the case. Xara exports a gif at 256 colours regardless of the actual number of colours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colour-handling.gif 
Views:	40 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	102095  
    Egg

I use Peter Hartleys excellent InterGif utility for animated GIF files and when I was trying to extract the invidual frames of animation from the file in Contours ZIP file for cropping, it gave me a warning if the palette was set to use existing palette.

"Please choose a palette-reduction option when using images with more than 256 colours."

So I guess there are more than 256 colours in the file, even if there are no more than 256 colours in a single frame. If the colour palette changes between the frames then the total number of invidual colours in whole file will actually be higher than 256.

But I am only guessing here so can be totally wrong. (Nothing new...)