Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Version 10 programs - What do you think might be next?

Now that Web designer 10 is out of the gate let's speculate on what might be coming next, What are you hoping to see improved or new in the rest of the version 10 programs?

Going on past releases DP will likely have all the new web design features and any new features added to Page and Layout Designer and Photo and Graphic designer.

Page and Layout designer was released next last year I hope this years release continues to build on the DTP features with things such as auto hyphenation and booklet creation tools. I also hope that the columns feature is improved. I'd like to see them add the ability to independently set column and gap width.
    The new smart shapes in WD10 intrigue me I hope that DP10 will be capable of creating custom smart shapes
    a spiral quick shape would be nice and will the brushes finally get some much needed improvements? (I'm not holding my breath on this one)

So lets hear your thoughts and wishes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Version 10 programs - What do you think might be next?

I'm just hoping that Xara partnered with the US office supply company Staples and included an "Easy Button" for all my design challenges.

Beyond that? I'm not holding my breath for anything that is worthwhile to me, whether simply existing oddities being fixed or added.

For me.
    The shadow tool could be improved.

Better still, graduated feathering would be a great addition in my opinion.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Mesh tool? Bigger outputs now that 64 bit capability has been achieved? Another of the vector tools that has been asked for? Better pens?

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    ...graduated feathering would be a great addition in my opinion.
    Like the following? Or do you mean something else? (If so, that is a bit painful to achieve.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	junk.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	102013

Well, if I recall properly, the outcry during the last release was "VECTOR TOOLS, VECTOR TOOLS." I have an extensive and more thorough image editor so all the photo tools, for me, are never used. I got Xara before they added the web editing so my intent was to get a good vector drawing program. So far I like what I have seen with the new web editing tools. I would like to see some templates that FINALLY get out of the square box format, improved or new vector tools and a coupon for free sneakers.

Bigger output (or pdf's that somewhat ressemble my images ). And vector fills as an addition to bitmap fills.

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    Mesh tool? Bigger outputs now that 64 bit capability has been achieved? Another of the vector tools that has been asked for? Better pens?

Like the following? Or do you mean something else? (If so, that is a bit painful to achieve.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	junk.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	102013
    Hi David.

What you've shown is what I am talking about.

If (what I call Graduated Feathering) was available, then doing shadows would be a lot easier and more realistic.
    And we would be able to do what I've shown in my drawing.

To get the effect in area 1, I had to do what is shown in area 2.
    There are times I need to use quite a few bits that I have to put together to get the right effect.

So, for me, it would be a lot easier if Graduated feathering available.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	graduated feathering.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	102017  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Yeah Fred, that would be good but it would need to be a Pattern Tool. Of all the vector tools introduced by Adobe for Illustrator from the start of CS right through to CC this of the new tools the one I have used the most. It could be good also for the web development area as a background wizard and could stay vector through html.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    To get the effect in area 1, I had to do what is shown in area 2...
    An FYI on my process, in case you hadn't thought of it: I blended from a background object given almost 100% transparency, to the top object. You can even duplicate the fills on both, to achieve a graduated fill throughout if you wish, but for best results both objects should have the same number of nodes, and those nodes should be of the same general geometry. Graduated feathering would be a big improvement, and I think your own process is easier than mine even though it doesn't give true graduated feathering. It looks great, though!

David

Suggeted tools and additions:

- simple dynamical CAD-like tools like: distances, area's and angles. We know Xara calculates them on the fly (look at the toolbar ...) but it would be very nice to have the opportunity to insert them in a drawing and have them updated on the fly.
    - Real vector brushes. Xara improved tremendously with the pressure sensitive brushes but it needs more if it wants to compete with CorelDraw or Illustrator.
    -One addition which would be welcomed very much is the possibility to make ones own line starts and endings. These arrows offered by Xara are not really up to date.
    - editable dashes
    - Layers within layers