Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Xara Web Premium 10 RUINED My Clients Website!!!!

Nope... it's garbage! I followed along with what the video has said to do (Stop Sharing, reposition and resize, etc.) I guess if you were starting a website from one of the provided templates for a responsive site, things may work the way that they should, but trying to convert an existing site ends up as just a waste of valuable time and a loss of revenue. My client paid for the upgrade in hopes of having a mobile version of the website, but it looks like it isn't going to happen with this software.

If one of you succeeds in accomplishing this task, perhaps you could share the secret because I have not found it. My thought was that it would be more intuitive than what it has been since Xara software has always worked as stated for me in the past.

I'm giving up and waiting for CoffeeCup to get their responsive designer completed (not the markup version, I already have that one and I'll tell you to save your money and wait for the other also.)

Sorry Xara, but this was a waste of my money to upgrade!

Sorry to read about your problems, but with all due respect, surely you did a "save as" before trying out the RWD? New feature, common sense IMHO.
    I've just started converting an existing site of mine - done in WP9P and so far, things are working just fine.
    Before you resize any text or graphics, just make sure you select "stop sharing with variants".

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelpusher View Post
    ...I'm giving up and waiting for CoffeeCup to get their responsive designer completed (not the markup version, I already have that one and I'll tell you to save your money and wait for the other also.)...
    Aside from always testing a site regardless of what is being used to build a site before it goes live...

The CoffeeCup Responsive Layout Maker Pro is a silly product. One can download dozens and dozens of responsive frameworks to use in DW or EW (which is free now). I cannot imagine using the product just to build the framework or work within its weird limitations.

Oh yeah, I ALWAYS have a backup. I learned that basic knowledge years ago! And I did test before uploading and like you said, everything "looked" fine... UNTIL it went live.

While I do not use Xara products for web sites (nor other WYSIWYG builders), I have helped many people with using them (Xara products included). The only times I have experienced a disconnect from what is exported locally and reviewed carefully in a variety of browsers to what the site looks like on the web, is when there is an incomplete upload to the host.

If the local export is fine, I would suggest wiping out the host's copy of the site and do a complete upload of the exported local site.

I always view the site in all of the major browsers to see how things are translating. Also, I have deleted all of the files from the server manually to make sure of a clean upload... that didn't change anything for me either. I typically never have a problem with the Xara software... Version 10 is a major exception. Nothing But problems.

Did you upload the contents of the folder that was exported or use the FTP inside the Xara product?

I have done it both ways.

Hi,

If your file looks fine but is not appearing correct when you publish, can you send it to me here: http://support.xara.com and I will try publishing and seeing what is possibly wrong.

Thanks
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelpusher View Post
    Yeah it is all messed up on the full size version. I did create a mobile variant but changing elements and text on the mobile must have also changed it on the full size as well, so when it was uploaded everything was messed up. Today I'll reload my backup and start over. What a major pain this is I gotta admit. Not at all what I was expecting.

Thanks guys.
    Me too. You have to Right-click on the text block, select Website variants, and tell it to Stop Updating. Otherwise, any changes you make on one variant will also be changed on all other variants. You can also Select All of the elements on one page, then right-click and Stop Updating the other variants... for that one page.

I have been begging Xara to include a way to Stop Updating completely, so that we can change things around without worrying about affecting other variants. Maybe you can also put in a request for that.

They can leave it as-is for the default - people who have simple sites with frequent changes can then leave it alone so any changes will update all variants. Then those of us who seldom want changes to affect all variants could turn off the updating site-wide, and then right-click and select Start Updating for items we want to update.

Sometimes headlines, captions for photos, even body text will fit fine on one page, but on a smaller page with different width text block, it is 1 or 2 characters too long, so you have to change it. No need to change it on the larger page. Or vice-versa, you might add something on the full size page that completely messes up our layout on the smaller variant page.

We each have our own way of working and our own preferences, I know that. If they just give us an option to turn off the updating, then those who like it the way it is can continue as they are now - it won't affect them.

Xara's reply to me was that most of their customers like the automatic updates on all variants. If so, I guess I'll keep on stopping the updates 1 page at a time.