Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Editing the shape of a photograph.

I have Photo & Graphic designer 2013.

Using Xara programmes over the last 10/12 years or so mainly for making beautiful Brochures & Itineraries for our dance group & classes.
    My Xara knowledge is limited. I do ok but I am not very technical. I have tried looking through a few of the tutorials to achieve what I hope to do.

My reason for posting on the Forum today is: Can anyone tell me if what I want to do is possible.

I would like to Import a photograph [ I'm ok with that ] But, I would like to actually make the square photo an Oval shape to fit on an Order Of Service booklet I am making for the funeral of one of our dancers.

I have tried different ways but as yet haven't been able to manage it. Am I expecting too much? Or even, can the programme I have achieve this? I hope so, but maybe it is that I will have to use the boring square shape as it is.
    Would be glad of any comments. If anyone can help, Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Francesca; 09 May 2014 at 06:47 PM. Reason: adding words

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Editing the shape of a photograph.

Hi Francesca,

Open a plain document not a photo document then:

One way would be to drag and drop your photo from an explorer window into your document then use the ellipse tool to create an oval on top of your photo the size you require. select both the ellipse and the photo and hit Ctrl +3 on your keyboard to intersect.

another way would be to create your oval again with the ellipse tool to the size and shape you require and set the fill to bitmap. The ellipse will become filled with a default bitmap. Drag and drop your photo from an explorer window onto the bitmap filled ellipse and presto!

Either way will result in a photo filled ellipse and you can use the fill tool to resize and rotate the photo within the ellipse.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Editing the shape of a photograph.

Thank you so much I will try that. Fingers crossed.