Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi Folks,

With out sounding completely dumb. What is a good way to create a Christmas Tree in XaraX?? I'm not looking to create a modern looking one (triangle and a rectangle under it) but a way to create a semi realistic 'branchy' effect that I can fill and what not. I'm still fairly new to XaraX and with Christmas just around the corner I thought I would make a 'homemade' card in XaraX to send out. But, like many of us, I am busy working and don't have to many hours I can spend experimenting. I know how to create the decorations and what not, but the tree shape itself is eluding me. Any ideas or examples (love those visuals [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )??

Thanks Folks

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi Folks,

With out sounding completely dumb. What is a good way to create a Christmas Tree in XaraX?? I'm not looking to create a modern looking one (triangle and a rectangle under it) but a way to create a semi realistic 'branchy' effect that I can fill and what not. I'm still fairly new to XaraX and with Christmas just around the corner I thought I would make a 'homemade' card in XaraX to send out. But, like many of us, I am busy working and don't have to many hours I can spend experimenting. I know how to create the decorations and what not, but the tree shape itself is eluding me. Any ideas or examples (love those visuals [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )??

Thanks Folks

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Something like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FirBrush.jpg 
Views:	813 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	19755  

The brush is in this file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ric

That is pretty terrific.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

http://www.gwpriester.com/flag.gif

What I can't remember (so I can thank them here), is where I got the brush. Anyway, thanks to whomever. I am using it to do this years card, if I ever get the time to finish. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] I want to replace the balls in the tree reflection with the one you gave us in this month's tutorial. Will post on the Gallery thread then.

Here's a draft: (Yes, I know the globe is about to fall [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] )

Name:	nutherwindow.jpg 
Views:	771 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	10417  

one of the brushes that DOESN'T crash XaraX. I have one problem. I need to know which tab to go to to edit the brushes size. It is set at a default of like 196 points. That is WAY to big and then when I reduce the size it is placed where I did't expect it to be. I need a way to lock a new point size into so when I am using it it stays at that size.

When I am using the brush and I resize the points to, I think 32 points is nice for what I want, a size that is useful then I go back and try to use the brush it defaults back to the 196 point size. That's not good!!!

Can anyone help me here with this little problem or give me some other way to achieve a tree effect??

Thanks one and ALL

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I think resizing brushes is thru the line width, isn't is?

Q

Wolf, I can't make XX save the new point size by editing the brush. Setting the line size in the Edit Brush Dialog seems to have no effect. Bug maybe? Anyway, here is my workaround to get the brushed lines you see in (5):
    1 - Draw a line with the exisiting conifer brush and convert the line to shape
    2 - Ungroup and delete all but one of the conifer clusters. Set line to none and feathering to 1 pix
    3 - resize; I set the height to be 20 pix and that set the default line width to 30pt.
    4 - With the cluster still selected, select the Brush Tool and click the Create Brush button. Give it a name. Draw a line with it then, with the line selected, click the Edit Brush button.
    My settings in the Edit Brush Dialog are as follows:
    Scaling - 50-100%
    Offset - 0 (default)
    Spacing = 145%
    Transparency = 30%
    Fill - default
    Rotation - Rotate along path checked & Brush Angle = 90 degrees

Good Luck,
    Ric

[This message was edited by Ric Heaton on December 13, 2001 at 19:05.]

Name:	FirBrush.jpg 
Views:	701 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	5218  

Hello Ric!

Nice Fir Brush (I have tried this) ! If you are interested I could put it in the Swap Shop (you can reply in this thread or to my e-mail).

About default line size you wrote:

"1 - Draw a line with the exisiting conifer brush and convert the line to shape. 2 - Ungroup and delete all but one of the conifer clusters."

The way is to go to the "new brush strokes" folder in the "line gallery" (F12), right click on the new brush, copy brush graphics to the clipboard and paste it into your page.
    But of course your idea is very interesting if you want to try a definite default line width!

Then you write: "Set line to none and feathering to 1 pix"

I allways use no line into my brushes because otherwise that can cause unexpected results (the solution is converting lines of your original object to shapes before creating the brush); and about feathering, it disappears in the brush but appears again when the line is converted to shapes (I use feathering in my Gummy Christmas Brush and that's why I propose to convert it to shapes after dawing).

Kind regards,

ivan