Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default What's the best way to implement a regularly updated and expanding page?

Hi there,

I want my home page to have all released content of the website running from top to bottom in chronological order from most recent to least recent and i'm wondering what the best way to implement this would be?

At the mo i'm thinking that i could do this by making an expanding rectangle for the content and then include each new entry with a heading and it's own text column, but i don't like this idea because it's manual and i'd really just like it to populate automatically. Is there a way to do this? Like, say, include 5 lines of latest content then a link to more... at the end of the 5 lines? Maybe i could do it some way with placeholder images but i can't seem to fathom out how to get that to work.

If anyone's got a good idea that'd be fab! Or maybe i've completely missed something in the manual so pointing me to that would be fab also.

Cheers.

Edit - web designer 9 premium

Default Re: What's the best way to implement a regularly updated and expanding page?

Ok, so what i've done is used headings and placeholders for each entry. On each heading and placeholder i've used the Push function for the position on page. All works well for creating the page. There's a problem when exporting/previewing though as only the placeholders get pushed and the headings don't move meaning the headings all end up in the wrong place. I've tried all the Position on page options, anchoring, as well as making each heading a Placeholder itself with the Show selected objects unchanged option selected. None of this seems to work.

Could anyone tell me how to get the headings to shift with the placeholders so it all stays the same as it does in web designer?

Default Re: What's the best way to implement a regularly updated and expanding page?

The push feature only works in the editor when creating the page and on export you'll always get static page size/positions unless you use a dynamic page tweak. You could put the headings in with the placeholder code so that they keep position with the placeholder code but you'll probably end up with a more complicated way of getting end result. Best/simplest way is to manually add new content to the top of the page and move everything else down. Or if you are regularly adding a lot of new content in chronological order then it might be best to use a blog with dynamic page tweak or display blog content in an iframe.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Thanks for response. Yeah, i've started putting the headings in with the placeholder code. Only problem with this now is i only know what's what when i'm previewing the page as everything in web designer is just a placeholder with no info on it. Still, it works like i want it to just need a way to view it in web designer as i'd like it. Cheers.

I've scrapped that idea because the placeholders won't seem to link to pages or anchors. I think i'm going to use images of the media for the front page and then link the image to the actual media. I hope it works.