Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Winding road effect ... is there a better way?

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I'd let that be if I were you....
    Yup that was only yesterday ...

briefly [sorry] - you can use contour tool to produce a parallel line effect - set 1 step - and you may need to ctrl+click the contour to recolor it so you can see it clearly - you may also need to mask the ends, or apply some local transparency - see rough example attached, should work fine with curves I think

if you need asymmetric outer lines you could still probably do this but you would possibly end up converting to editable shape, ungrouping, intersecting shapes and/or breaking the contour at specific points[nodes] and it could get rather complicated

mould tool is ok, good idea if it gets what you want - though I find the xara one awkward to use
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qandd.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	101884  
    Attached Files Attached Files

ok - it sorta works with curves - but need some additional grouping because of the way xara applies transparency [ie across boundary box, not along stroke <sigh>]

plus if you apply a stroke shape to the line you would need to 'convert line to shape' before you apply the contour as an additional step - then you have to think about tapering out the contours - maybe not such a good idea after all, but I am going to give it a try

EDit - and if you 'convert the line to shape' - then just giving it an outline should work just as well as messing with contours, though still have the tapering problem...

[apologies for three posts in a row]

ok simplified things a bit [maybe]

best I can do for now - need to go do some serious work with wings [the modelling program not the musicians ] - pity xara svg does not import into wings properly but I digress...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curve in principle.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	101888

qandd - curve.xar

Already posted a path I had drawn in a winter scene, didn't explain how I did it so here's another diagram. It's just another way to draw the path as there are a few methods but I prefer to do this.

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Road.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	101890  

A winding road could be figured accurately, but it would require a lot of work and a good knowledge of perspective. I could be wrong but I believe that is beyond the capabilities of our beloved Xara software to do it simply. Probably the simplest way is to eyeball it. While it may not be 100% accurate you should re able to do an acceptable representation using the methods set forth be other members here.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    A winding road could be figured accurately, but it would require a lot of work and a good knowledge of perspective. I could be wrong but I believe that is beyond the capabilities of our beloved Xara software to do it simply. Probably the simplest way is to eyeball it. While it may not be 100% accurate you should re able to do an acceptable representation using the methods set forth be other members here.
    I agree Larry, that's the point I was making really that you would be best eye balling it. It's fiddly but take the time and it can be done, I didn't in the diagram

Stygg

depends what it's wanted for...

but xdpx would not be my first choice, even if I eye-balled it - probably model it

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    I believe that is beyond the capabilities of our beloved Xara software to do it simply.
    Alas, I'm concluding that this is the situation. "Fit shape to curve" or "Edit shape of shape" (Macro Edit?) don't exist ... yet. I does seem there would be a lot of uses. I'm thinking of a fun-house-mirror approach ... with drag handles on the mirror: normal shape in; fun shape out.

Nevertheless, this search has led me to double up on my skills at using drag handles. For example, I learned today that you can precisely move a drag point using the Alt+Arrow keys.

Where there's a will, there's a way ... sort of.

Thanks for all the suggestions.