Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Clone tool catatonia

I feel like I now have gone full circle. I'm back to the first task I ever learned with Designer Pro X: Cloning a shape to cover something else in the original photo.

However, I am stymied on a couple of points (Now there's a surprise!). While I'm using the Magic Eraser tool to outline the shape I'm wanting to cover:
    1. How can I scroll up to the next area of the photo without releasing the left mouse button?
    2. If I have to release the mouse button to scroll up, how can I extend the line I've been drawing?

It just reoccurred to me that I can press the ALT key and scroll up that way then just retract my line. Not to look a gift scroll in the, um, mouth(?) but is that the only way?

Also, to question #2, should the need ever arise, how (if it's possible) exactly can the line be extended once/if the mouse button is released?

Thanks, as always!! If not for you guys I'd never get anything done!
    Jack

Default Re: Clone tool catatonia

Magic Erase is going to erase the image. Is this what you want?

You can use the up and down arrow keys to scroll. It's tricky but you can also use the scroll wheel on the mouse while holding down the left mouse key.

Default Re: Clone tool catatonia

I might have called the tool by the wrong name but it's on the Clone toolbar, the 3rd from the left on the flyout. Looks like a floppy drive with a joystick to me. Now that the tool tips are working again, it says Clone/Magic Erase. "Clone" might be the correct term.

The problem I was having is that if I don't release the mouse button I couldn't scroll with arrow keys or by any other method. When it comes to pushing via the scroll button on the mouse "tricky" is definitely an understatement! I did notice, though, my freehand is a little bit smoother using my middle finger on the mouse button.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5845.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	101838 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SID101.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	101839 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	101840

Pressing the ALT button has solved my scrolling issue for the most part but I am still curious if there's a way to extend my line if necessary. As it is now, whatever shape I have drawn becomes closed via a straight line. I can stretch that shape to make it larger but I can't continue the line. I just have to delete the shape and start over.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magic Erase.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	101842 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magic Erase01.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	101841

When I first learned how to do this, I actually stumbled across it completely by accident. It was exactly the effect I was looking for but I discovered it unexpectedly. More or less, beginner's luck. Is there a better way to achieve this result?

Thanks, once again!!