Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Default Re: Watermelon rev 3

browj2 you're so funny!
    I would love it if you're wife could explain it to me. Of course, she'd have to dumb it down, A LOT!
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Just for the record Gare, my criticisms are not done in malice but in an attempt to help if I see something bothersome or what appears to me as wrong. I should stop doing that.
    I am still working on your maze off and on but it just takes me forever and a day to get much of anything done art wise. Been working on a scribble (scrobble), but who knows when I'll get that done.

EDIt: I apologize.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

We know there not Larry. No worries.

Xara's Facebook

Default Xare retouching

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Duke View Post
    We know there not Larry. No worries.
    Me ditto, Larry. When my PM cartoons stop coming to you, it means I've died, but never P.O.-ed.

Name:  smsmirk.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  4.1 KB

Default Re: Xare retouching

Thanks Ron and Gare.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default lighting

Boy, was I ever wrong about cache lights, and I thank Larry for questioning me about this.

I didn't mean cache light at all; I meant bounce light. In photography, there is a primary light, a fill light (optional), and a bounce light (also optional). The bounce light, at least in my example, was used to make something round look rounder. Example here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bounce light.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	109380

There is a terrific article on lighting and bounce lights at blogspot:

Jen Betton on lighting

So aside from screwing up the name of the illumination, my execution wasn't a total flop. If you read the article, a bounce light can be set up to be anywhere. Moreover, a bounce light can be a reflective plane that take a specific light and hits it into a desired are through bouncing.

Me wrong, Larry saved me and misinformation on tg.

Thank you, Larry!

-Gary

Default Re: lighting

You are welcome Gare. I try. Actually it was a bounce light that I was attempting to show in my pitiful black and white example.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Default Re: lighting

Gare, that makes me feel better about being a pain. Thanks a lot.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Default Piper

Name:	Piper.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	109398

I'm not nearly talented enough to evaluate in a B&W photo where one tone begins and another ends, so I auto-traced the photo, and then carefully modified shapes that were visually awkward, did a little drawing myself, and basically replaced the grey tones with a small color palette, depending on the posterized shade of grey. Tedious? A little; there are 67 shapes in this drawing/trace.

This is a photo I took years if not decades ago when I lived in Manhattan, and was taking snapshots of interesting gargoyles and other handcrafted, one-of-a-kind ornaments on greystone and sandstone buildings.

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: Piper

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post

Name:	Piper.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	109398

I'm not nearly talented enough to evaluate in a B&W photo where one tone begins and another ends, so I auto-traced the photo, and then carefully modified shapes that were visually awkward, did a little drawing myself, and basically replaced the grey tones with a small color palette, depending on the posterized shade of grey. Tedious? A little; there are 67 shapes in this drawing/trace.

This is a photo I took years if not decades ago when I lived in Manhattan, and was taking snapshots of interesting gargoyles and other handcrafted, one-of-a-kind ornaments on greystone and sandstone buildings.

My Best,

Gary
    Well, your version is definitely more artsy.

That would have been a blast going around a taking photos of the greystone carvings and the like!

Xara's Facebook