Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 17 of 56 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Default Re: Circular Maze

I'm very sorry to hear that, Larry.

I mean the part about giving us a hard time on tg.

I'm kidddddding.

Hey, I think we all have to yield to our age in one way or another. My peepers have been 20/20 ever since I worked out my diabetic problems, but this year, computer glasses at the supermarket pharmacy, $9.99, and I look like Sarah Palin (where are the adult-sized frames?!?).

Be well and know that people care about you. I hope you find a drug to reduce the shaking.

And BTW, I'm envious: I've always had shi lousy handwriting.

-g

Default Primary Gangplanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primary-Gangplanks.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	109192

1. Make a bunch of textures. I used Filter Forge; it’s simple and produces elegant seamless tiling textures.

2. Use the Deformation Filter> Fisheye Perspective on a texture.

3. Press Ctrl+Shift+C to make a bitmap copy because you can’t clip an Effect shape to a circle.

4. Clip the copy to a circle.

5. Put a circle on top of the ClipView shape; give it elliptical transparency, Multiply mode, make the outside dark and the inside clear. Offset the center so the darkest part falls to the lower right in this example.

6. Add a highlight; make a white circle and feather the edges.

7. Repeat steps 7 twice.

8. Create rectangles you fill with textures.

9. Add a drop shadow to everything.

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: Primary Gangplanks

Thanks for that info Gare. Super image.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thats a good one Gare. (no apostrophy)
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Very cool looking design.

Thanks, Graham, and Larry, and Ron—

Graham, thanks for recognizing for exactly what it is: a design. Asymmetrical, primary colors—the composition is sound but not World Class Inspired, while I was hoping most of the visual interest was derived from the textures, not the shape of the "containers".

I hope the steps lets people take a whack at similar (or totally different!) compositions.

My Best,

Gary

If I weren't so busy with my current projects, I'd go to work on this right away, Gary. Really nice work and inspiring for me.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Duke View Post
    If I weren't so busy with my current projects, I'd go to work on this right away, Gary. Really nice work and inspiring for me.
    All I'd hope to pass along is the inspiration, Ron. Let's face it: three circles and three rectangles aren't hanging in the Louvre*!

*To the best of my knowledge.

My Best,

Gary

The important thing is to have fun. Adults have too little of it, and my 8 year old grand-nephew has far too much of it.

This painting by American painter Barnett Newman hangs in the Canadian National Art Gallery. We paid $1.8 million dollars for it back in the 80's. Caused quite a controversy at the time. So you see Gary, there is hope that your design of three circles and three rectangles could hang in the Louvre, because it looks one hell of a lot better than this one. You'll have to come up with a catchy name though. This one is called Voice of Fire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	178px-Voice_of_Fire_photo.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	109198  

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    This painting by American painter Barnett Newman hangs in the Canadian National Art Gallery. We paid $1.8 million dollars for it back in the 80's. Caused quite a controversy at the time. So you see Gary, there is hope that your design of three circles and three rectangles could hang in the Louvre, because it looks one hell of a lot better than this one. You'll have to come up with a catchy name though. This one is called Voice of Fire.
    @Gray,

Thanks for the reference. I always thought that it had been done by Riopel, but I was mistaken. My wife, the artist, tells me that I don't understand art and she will explain what this painting means. Hmmm. To me, I think I can hear David Hannum in the background saying "There's a sucker born every minute..."

John