Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 18 of 56 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Default Re: Primary Gangplanks

Hmmmm, I wonder what Chevrolet Camaro got for this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camarologo.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	109202  
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Broj2, I have to confess to being one who doesn't understand art. I think I' m pretty open minded when it comes to art, but a red line down a blue background even leaves me scratching my head. Hell, I would have painted one for them for a mill, saving the tax payer $800000.
    Ron, I think Chevy has the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    I think I can hear David Hannum in the background saying "There's a sucker born every minute..."

John
    John, thanks for making me get off my butt and looking up David Hannum! Like many folks (I think), I thought the quote was attributed to P.T. Barnum, but after researching this, Barnum never would have talked about his clients this way...he just took the money and ran.

Related quote, also not by P.T. Barnum:

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.

—H. L. Mencken...

American satirist most highly regarded during the first half of the 20th century, also the author of a multi-volume study of how the English language is spoken in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Duke View Post
    Hmmmm, I wonder what Chevrolet Camaro got for this?
    I don't know, but I do know you could do as well.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    I don't know, but I do know you could do as well.
    Only a really good buddy would say that.

Xara's Facebook

Thanks Ron. I don't just say it, it happens to be true.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Log Cabin Extrude

Talk about bored and tedious work! This is entirely extruded circles, some shapes added by hand, and then some retouching in Photoshop, and a cloud from Expressions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	log-cabin.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	109249

Default Re: Log Cabin Extrude

Very creative Gary. Your work is giving lot's of people lot's of ideas of how they can use Xara.

Xara's Facebook

OK Gare, here is my take on this.
    First off I like it with certain reservations.
    But why are all the faces lit the same when the sun is obviously coming from behind? The openings of the window and door are two different colors, shouldn't they be the same color and value? There is a soft shape to the left and behind the chimney which is contrary to the ground shadow The ground shadow doesn't strike me as quite right but I'm not at the moment sure why. OK I give you artistic license, after all who says everything has to be 100% correct. That's just my hangup it just has to look right. I guess I just have a different way of looking at things.

Just some friendly observations on my part.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    OK Gare, here is my take on this.
    First off I like it with certain reservations.
    But why are all the faces lit the same when the sun is obviously coming from behind? The openings of the window and door are two different colors, shouldn't they be the same color and value? There is a soft shape to the left and behind the chimney which is contrary to the ground shadow The ground shadow doesn't strike me as quite right but I'm not at the moment sure why. OK I give you artistic license, after all who says everything has to be 100% correct. That's just my hangup it just has to look right. I guess I just have a different way of looking at things.

Just some friendly observations on my part.
    I accept them (your comments) as friendly, Larry, thanks for that.

I probably should have explained up front that this is not the end-all, be-all of my drawings. It was intended to prove to myself only one thing, so I probably shouldn't have posted it here: I wanted to see if it was even possible to create a log cabin using only circle Extrudes. Yep, my lighting is inconsistent and contradictory, but I just wanted the thing to look like a finished piece after I'd struggled and pleaded with the Extrude tool to match perspectives on the 23 logs—I edited the front by hand to make the door and window—under my editing are 6 undisturbed extrudes.

I want to thank you for being so diligent in your critique, Larry. It gives me something to seriously consider in the future. I think this log cabin is a "set piece", though, the experiment's done and I have more interesting things to draw now! Name:  smsmirk.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  4.1 KB

My Best,

Gary