Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Default Re: Free train ride!

Thanks for posting the .xar file of the toy train. Nice to pull apart to examine the shapes.
    I particularly liked the blend tool to make the floor shadow.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

[QUOTE=Gare;513554

You're going to hurt someone with that sharp wit someday.

-g[/QUOTE]

I sure hope not. Hope I have not already.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    I particularly liked the blend tool to make the floor shadow.
    Thanks for drawing attention to that, recently considered how to do shadows and it is really great looking Gare

@ IAmTheBlues and csehz—

Many years before Xara offered a Shadow tool, or a Feathering option to create soft shadows from shapes, the only viable way to do a soft floor shadow was with a blend. I sort of brought that technique with me from CorelDRAW when I adopted Xara.

I'm happy when people spot something they can understand and use in their own work; that's more than 50% of the reason I post my work.

The other 50% is I'm a hopeless egotist and like to see my name in print.

By the way, you can also modify ("tune") a shadow made from a blend using the bias and contrast sliders (there's no real name for them) on the Infobar when you've got a blend selected, to harden the edge and even out the distribution of tones.

Very few shadows we see in the real world are soft; it's just that as soon as someone learned how the Gaussian blur tool in Photoshop could be used to create diffuse shadows, everyone started doing it and forgot that objects in direct sunlight cast very hard shadows!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hard shadows.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	104003

(I tried to create a scene in my modeling program that might be mistaken for the photo I took earlier), but the point is that these are not your "soft" diffuse shadows, and yet they comprise the majority of shadow types you see every day.

My Best,

Gary

Using the blend tool would be the only way to make soft shadows in Artworks also as it has no feather tool.

Size and distance of the light source will both affect how soft the shadow will appear, so the sun is huge but will still cast sharp shadows because the distance is equally huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post

Very few shadows we see in the real world are soft; objects in direct sunlight cast very hard shadows!

Name:	hard shadows.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	104003

My Best,

Gary
    Very interesting observation Gare. It's true though. And what theinonen says is equally true.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hey, Larry—

With shadows, we must take into account two more things t determine whether a shadow cast is sharp or soft:

1. Is the surface the shadow being cast upon rough or smooth?

2. Is there haze between the light source and the object?If so, diffusion comes into play, the scattering of light which makes the coherent waves of light bounce at the viewer or camera in random ways, making what should be a sharp delineation between object and shadow soft.

Also, indirect lighting tends to cast soft or no shadows at all. Imagine a white room with only one small source of light. That light bounces off the white walls and illuminates and object in an indirect way, receiving secondary light bounces...and the shadows are very soft, very diffuse.

My Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Very interesting observation Gare. It's true though. And what theinonen says is equally true.
    I guess I should amend my statement here

what theinonen says is equally true but only if the shadow is close to the object casting it. Shadows are dark and sharp only when close to the casting object but get lighter and more blurred the further away they get. The size of the sun while large is still only relative and as such can be treated as a point perspective wise. If what theinonen said were completely true then a cast shadow would not get wider as it gets further away but stay sharp and the same size as the object casting the shadow. True the sun is large but due to it's distance it is still only a point in the sky. I hope I got it right
    As Gare says there are many other factors to take into account, but, l am talking about a smooth object on a bright sunny day.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Well, Larry, that's what I was talking about in Post #64 and the image.

Cool!

-g

Default Re: A head scan revealed nothingh there

In the "Try as Hard as you can without directions from the client" Department, these are early version of the CorelDRAW Official Guide cover. If you've ever seen the final cover for Xtreme 5:

1. I was WAY off on my approach. Every software company wants their box on the cover, whether they actually ship boxes or DVDs or not. and

2. I eventually did do the cover in a manner of speaking. I (almost) reproduced minimiro's spectacular illustration of the technical pens, and then modeled the boxes and did some text fitting here...

Name:	Xara-official-guide-cover.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	104118xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara-official-guide-cover,-blueprint.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	104119

Name:  g.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  3.4 KB