Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Removing background & otherwise "fixing" a photo

I've been asked to try to create something out of essentially nothing. Specifically, to create a head shot similar to the ones I've done in the past (photo #1) using photo #2 which came from photo #3. There is no other picture of this Fireman and this one is not the greatest quality for what I need to do.

I'm trying out a trial of X9. Photo #4 is the result of the Magic Eraser, which I thought turned out pretty darn neat! But back to reality, the purpose of all this is that the Chief is making plaques with individual members' head shots. The one in question is now the oldest firefighter in the department so it's kind of a surprise. The group photo was taken by a professional photographer in 2011.

I really don't think that I can do much with it because the image, at 100%, is already pixelated. I know I am not proficient enough with this software or PhotoShop, etc., if it's even possible to clean up the image enough to enlarge it.

Do y'all have any suggestions? I'm to the point that I'm thinking he's just going to have to use the cropped image on the plaque. Even if I could remove the background, the image quality is so poor it wouldn't match any background into which I tried to place it.

Thanks for your help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SID101.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	101697 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BillyS_cr.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	101698 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inspection2011.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	101699 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	background.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	101700
    Photo #1 Photo #2 Photo #3 Photo #4

Default Re: Removing background & otherwise "fixing" a photo

Your photo #2 was cropped from photo #3; is that correct? Do you have access to a copy of photo #3 larger than the 800 x 488 jpeg you've shown?
    ~Fred

Hi Fred C! Thanks for the fast response. Yes that's correct, #2 came from #3. The copy of the group photo he sent me is 3000 x 1830 & 2.94 MB.

The Chief sent me an email that he thinks he has some other pics of this man. He's going to try to find and send them to me.

You did a pretty good job on 'Magic erasing' the flag background and you could probably get a good result if you crop the needed shot from the larger 3000 x 1830 image. Make a copy of the original to work on Emphasis>>don't work on the original and since you want a clear background on the head shot use a .png not a .jpg.

If you get a better pic from the Chief, all the better, but it seems you'll still need to erase a background. Do a search here for tutorials on background erasing. Good luck!
    ~Fred

Thanks!! I'll do that!

~Fred

Thanks! That helped. The biggest problem I keep running into is that the background is pretty much the same color as what I'm trying to keep. I'll just have to zoom in and clean up the edges.

I was completely wiped out last night and am getting a late start today (why is it you get in trouble when you're late for a doctor's appointment but they have no qualms about letting you sit in the waiting room for two hours past your appointment time? ).

I extracted this from the original 3000 x 1830 but it's still pixelated in areas. I'm still cleaning this up. I've gotten most of his right (our left) ear and shoulder. But I'm wondering how, or if it's possible, to neaten up the pixelated areas around the insignia and the white band on his cap.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BillyS_Final.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	101746

It is a pretty simple shape. I would have created a vector mask shape using the Shape Tool, applied ClipView to mask the photo then added a small amount of feathering to soften the edge.

With a vector mask you can edit and fine tune the shape when you have masked the image. The actual image remains inside the clipview so if you need to extend the outline a little the image is still there.

Thanks! However, I have no idea how to create a vector mask. How do I convert a shape to a mask? I was unable to find anything in the help files. I read up on ClipView and that makes sense, as does the feathering. Just a little stumped on the first step.