Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is pre-XaraX for me. Seems like a LONG time ago! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Steve Newport
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roadsign.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	9866  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I don't think the horizon needs to curve, unless you are up in space. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As you get higher up you can see a definate curve in the horizon. The idea here is that the cliff that people seem to be driving off is stupidly high, and the suggestion of that height would (I believe) be helped along a lot by adding a slight curve to the earth.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If you want to have a bit of curvature to the horizon, make the ocean a separate object and add a bit of roundness to the top part. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find that the problem with that is that the shading stays square/linear when i mould the shape. So I make it a bitmap and mould that, and it seems to tile the image instead of distorting it how I'd like. I suspect that the latter is merely something I'm doing wrong, but I don't know quite what that is yet.

Really, that entire background image needs to have some kind of concave mould placed on it, so that the sea will curve up in the centre, and the clouds/sea will seem to streak past at the edges. Yes, that would be better.

I've actually just now had a great idea on how to solve one particular problem I had (which was getting the perspective right). If I had thought about it long enough, I would've thought to make a set of guides in a perspective view, then everything would follow the same guides and look more consistent. Or I could've done some of the work in some kind of space-aware program.

*shrug*

Miggles,
    The digital won't let me go.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I run both version 5 and 6 and have found very few problems with this forum. I have just uploaded my first image and a file (I'm in NZ too) to the TalkGraphics server and it went without a hitch.
    If you continue to experience problems, you might like to try the option of linking to an image on your own server/website - using the Instant UBB code (the IMAGE button). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. That's why I'm quite confused about what happened. It's happened at the same place in the bitstream in both images, too. I'm connected through Xtra, and there is nothing untoward about my connection in any way, and I just can't figure this one out.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> In the short time I've been here, I've never seen any of the regulars stoop to anything that could be called mocking. One reason why I feel 'safe' here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I've noticed that too. It's more or less just my cynicism floating to the surface.

Miggles,
    You're jaded.

Miggles

The attached is by no means perfect but it kind of gives you an idea of how I would attempt to create the rounded horizon.

Step 1) Create two rectangles and apply Fractal Cloud fills. Make the lower rectangle brighter and more contrasty in color. Make the fill in the top rectangle lighter and softer. Convert the rectangles to editable shapes (Arrange) and use the Shape Editor Tool to bow the top of the top rectangle.

Step 2) Create a 15-step Blend of the two rectangles. Open the Position Profile dialog and drag the top slider to the left to accelerate the blend steps making them closer towards the horizon.

Step 3) Apply a Linear Transparency to the Blend starting at the bottom at 0% (no transparency) and drag the fill path arrow a bit past the top of the blend and make the setting 100% (fully transparent. This softens the blend steps and softens the top edge of the blend.

Step 4) Add a sky.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterandsky.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	9925