Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default uses, techniques and tips for the ShapePainter/Eraser tools

I think the shape painter (originally introduced as the Shapebuilder) and the eraser tool are very useful and seldom discussed. I'm including both tools in this thread because if you have a version that has both tools you will find they are very much interconected. And if I'm not mistaken other tools in the current version 9 programs are also based on the shapepainter and eraser tools, or at least the same technology behind them.

One of the ways they work together is in how they change a vector shape. The shape painter adds to a shape and the eraser subtracts from it. One tip that I use often is holding the shift key to switch from one to the other.

So how have you used these tools in creative ways? What's your favourite feature of these tools?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shapes.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	101564  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: uses, techniques and tips for the ShapePainter/Eraser tools

I've only used the Eraser tool once, so far, and that was to remove elements in a photograph, that I intended to replace. I was removing a tree from a landscape photo, while maintaining the person in the photo, the ground and the sky behind the tree.

While I certainly can understand using the Shapebuilder and Erase tool to create vector shapes, I've always only used rectangle tool, circle tool or freehand tool to draw a detailed shape. If a point on the outline is off, I move it. I've never used the Eraser or Shapebuilder to alter nor create a shape. I know I can do it, but have no compelling reason to try. I'm too used to the old way...

That is great idea Frances, the Shape Painter tool also deserves much more attention just like the Extrude tool in the other thread.

I found useful the ShapePainter tool in creating smooth corners with steps:
    - drawing a shape with round join, where the line width is big comparing to the shape
    - converting line to shape
    - in Shape Painter tool filling the middle of the shape, so the control points stays only on the outlines

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fillshapes.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	101576

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

It's quite useful for filling in like that Csehz. Also if you are using a graphics tablet the pressure sensitivity option is pretty nice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pressure sensitivity.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	101577  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

as a freehand artist who avoids the time-consuming and tedious [though if you want precise control necessary] node manipulation, the 'freeshand and brush tool' and the 'shape painter[builder]' tools are the tools of choice for line drawing in xdpx

the shape builder tool has two big advantages over the freehand:

1] [assuming outline set to 'none'] the shape painter tool gives very wide range of width variation when 'pressure recording' is enabled and used with a wacom tablet - far wider than the freehand tool which is constrained to an outline setting

2] you can toggle the visibility of the node handles whilst drawing [key h] - would that the freehand tool had this, especially when smoothing is set to 0

but it has one big disadvantage - screen pixel size nibs only

I also find the painter/eraser tools are good for 'teasing' in/out detail in a clipped bitmap, which I suspect is one of the main uses envisaged for them - and for 'sculpting' shapes