Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Empty file crashes DP9

I guess this has probably been noted before but I've only recently noticed it.

The install program for (probably all) versions of Designer Pro places an entry in Explorer's right click context menu to allow creation of a New -> Xara X Document. The files created is zero size however so if I try to open the file, the shell executes the usual association, Xara starts up, gives an error message that the files seems to have nothing in it and then Xara just stops responding altogether.

Seems that there is no point to having this context menu at all.

Anybody else find this?

Scrimshaw

Default Re: Empty file crashes DP9

I have 3 versions of XDP installed (6, X, and X9). I don't have a right-click, new file option for any of them.

Mike

I have version 8 [XDPX] - no problem creating and opening file this way with windows 8.1

I am fairly sure it should not be 0KB, mine are 2.10KB, it may be they are not being created correctly if there is a conflict on your system

I noticed that the file that is created on my system is 800pix by 600pix page - which is not my normal A4 default which I guess means the opening routine differs from normal

you could try running the program as administrator once that sometimes fixes things - don't think you can do that from the context menu, need to right click on a shortcut or in start menu...

@Mike - it may depend on how your system is set up - mine may be windows 8.1, but I have start menu and windows explorer modified with Classic Shell - I don't know if it would be there by default in win8 [there again I don't actually recall it being there in the past at all ...]

I forgot to mention, I'm on a 32bit Vista machine. Don't know if that would make a difference...

Anyway, its not a major issue at all of course since I don't really need to be able to create new files in this way - It was more a sort of 'Oh, I wonder what the point of this feature is'

Seems likely that there is a point to having this and that it works OK for most people - probably my poor old machine, its really time it was retired!

could be a vista thing... its a bit overzealous on the UAC permissions front sometimes

[and the fact it opens 800x600 on mine may be because I have more than one xara version installed]

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    @Mike - it may depend on how your system is set up - mine may be windows 8.1, but I have start menu and windows explorer modified with Classic Shell - I don't know if it would be there by default in win8 [there again I don't actually recall it being there in the past at all ...]
    Yeah, my system is 8.1 64-bit. I use Start8 for the start button.

I can probably use one hand to tally the number of times I have created a new document of any kind using the right-click method since there was a Windows. About the only command I would use is to create a new folder...but since Windows first appeared (I think), ctrl+shift+n will create a new folder ready for the name change. I use that often enough I remember the keyboard shortcut.

But like many posts I read, I was curious about the error. If, by default, the new document size is as you state, that would only serve to frustrate me anyway. I just tried CorelDraw for grins & giggles. It uses whatever is one's default document size (Letter in my case). DrawPlus uses whatever size was active for the last save. PagePlus uses the default page size, same with MS Publisher. Hey, I am pretty certain as I walked through the twenty or so right-click types, I just made way more empty documents than ever before...

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001350.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	101481  

you have a lot more than me

basically I just have MS office, xara, serif and the usual Win stuff.... but...

just noticed office includes MS Publisher - that is not on my win 8.1 machine and never has been

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you have a lot more than me

basically I just have MS office, xara, serif and the usual Win stuff.... but...

just noticed office includes MS Publisher - that is not on my win 8.1 machine and never has been
    I have, and use, 5 different layout applications...6 if you count some legacy stuff I do in Ventura on an XP computer. And 4 vector applications, 4 bitmap editors...

I do some work for a couple service bureaus, which explains Publisher. I don't choose to use it myself other than for fixing people's files. Heck, there are times I have to use Word to fix files sent to one of the service bureaus, mainly adding bleed and crop marks. Try that in Word. It can be done, at least in combination with Acrobat for the crop marks, but the bleed is done in Word.

Mike