Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Open book

It's good, Yes! ...and still fun. I didn't realize the thread was that old...hmmm!
    ~Fred

It happens, Fred.

I didn't realize that I was this old.

-g

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

@Gare: Exceeding the maximum roundness or any other bevel type for that matter is what I referred to as "supersizing" in post #16. It is a technique I use once in a while. I believe you are probably right about Steve being the first one to post it on the forums. By chopping out bits from the center of an ellipse and setting the round bevel at I think about 900 is how I created those coffee beans.

Another interesting thing you can do with extrusions is add transparency via Opacity masks. Here is a quick example of simple extruded rectangles with opacity masks that have elliptical fills applied. the result looks like ice cubes! In the attached .xar you can dissect these ice ubes and the coffee cup from my earlier post that also contains an opacity mask.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extruded Ice cubes.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	101534  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Has anyone else (obviously, other than I) have a problem with the Extrude depth in version 9?

I can set the depth to 900 manually in say version 6, but in version 9, it refuses to take the value, and resets to the max, 240 I think.

?????

TIA,

G

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I can enter up to 999 in XDP9 both 64 and 32 bit versions before it resets. Anything above 999 resets to 999

The eraser tool can be used to blend extrusions together. In this pot example I have two extrusions with different bevels one rolled which creates the top of the pot and one curved which creates the base. The base is stacked beneath the top and I quickly erased the bottom part of the top and added an ellipse with an elliptical fill to create the illusion of the empty pot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pot.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	101536  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quite ingenious, Frances!

-g

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Has anyone else (obviously, other than I) have a problem with the Extrude depth in version 9?

I can set the depth to 900 manually in say version 6, but in version 9, it refuses to take the value, and resets to the max, 240 I think.

?????

TIA,

G
    i just tried it and no I don't have that problem. True, using the slider it only goes to 250 but selecting the value in the box and entering a value I got both 900 and 999 consistently.

@ Frances, those are great. Much to be learned here, I'm a thinkin.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    ...The eraser tool can be used to blend extrusions together. In this pot example I have two extrusions with different bevels one rolled which creates the top of the pot and one curved which creates the base. The base is stacked beneath the top and I quickly erased the bottom part of the top and added an ellipse with an elliptical fill to create the illusion of the empty pot.
    Excellent, Frances.

Might even encourage to use 3D effects one day...that's an accomplishment.

Mike

I neither have issue in XDPX9 to set the depth to 999. Frances that idea is very good.

From Black Panther read this small tip for Extrude tool - if you extrude a line and would like to change the width, no need to switch off the extrude it allows the width change for the base shape without that.
    Last edited by csehz; 13 April 2014 at 04:31 AM.

I notice a slight 'glitch' with the extrusion tool - if I get the rotation exactly 'end-on' I cannot get the cursor to change to rotation without clicking the remove extrusion button, after which when I rotate the extrusion reappears automatically - is this normal?

using XDPX