Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Default Re: The Book of Csehz

seeing csehz's excellent chess set reminded me I had done one 'couple of years back' [actually 6 and a half years back ] no extrudes then, it was blends

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...356#post227356

no where near as good, but I though I'd have a good at extruding - unfortunately I no longer have the source file with all the shapes in, so only the rook shape survives, re-did the knight and extruded both... may get round to the others if time allows

these are only abstract representations - might be difficult to play with, make even
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rook-knight.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	101654  

Default Re: Unusual uses for the Extrude tool :)

Very nice examples,

maybe this tip was already mentioned but looks worth to play simply with 1) extrude an object and 2) clone and place over so the same object with a kind of fractal transparency -> with that a different looking or more spicy 'material' can came out (the example is using one of Albacore's metal gradients)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extr2.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	101656

@handrawn, the pieces might not be too unstable to play with if you make the extrude deep enough, and perhaps don't round the corners so they'd be more prone to tip over.

@Csehz— Very nice look!

My Best,

Gary

Here's a crack I tool at using extrudes as a study for a drawing. File's attached. Feel free to use it in any way you choose—it might make an interesting brush!

Name:	Suits.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	101668
    Attached Files Attached Files

It is just a play but maybe rather unusual, let's extrude a heart on a black background, after moving the extrude lights that only the bevel types would get light and the shape not

Name:	Lights_on_bevels.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	101807

Lights_on_bevel_types.xar

csehz, you have an idea here for a much larger composition.

You could create a grid of all the different treatments of this design. I find "variations" in a piece of work to be interesting and the arrangement helps guide my eye from one mini-masterpiece to the next.

This is not Great Art, but it was a Valentine's day card I made several years ago just to show you what I'm thinking for developing your work.

Name:	grid of hearts.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	101812

My Best,

Gary

Gare thanks yes sure there are possibilities, also like it is in your collection that possible to suggest that bevels are not touching each other, or setting the lights as if the shape would be separated.

Actually I tried something yet which is who knows what, but there seems something there It is two extrudes on the first the black made with the before light settings so focusing only on bevels + a second extrude which has Bleach transparency which makes the black transparent so can be put over the first extrude.

Name:	162.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	101819

Bleech_transp_on_Extrude.xar

Sure could be done something similiar with extruding outlines so where the middle of the shape is empty, but let's do the unusual way

Actually, with a little more structure, csehz, you could make atoms and molecules using this technique and maing spheres whose circular multi-step gradient matches the lighting of these "connectors".

Wonderfully inventing stuff!

-g

I'm finishing up creating a set of 50 symbols for Undersea maps - those crabs a couple pages earlier are from that set. Anyway, I just completed all 50 objects. Last night I created the 49th object and used a Xara design and extrusion for all of it. Basically I used a photo for reference, then drew lines for the branches of the coral, then converted lines to shapes. I used an 8 point line with a shaped end for the main branches, 4 point lines for subbranches, 2 point lines for main end branches, and 1 point line for the smallest twigs - to create a golden fan coral. The main branches got a rounded bevel, while the rest were combined as a single shape. I used extrusion so I could rotate the shape upward...

It actually took longer than a minute to render the 3D views due to the graphic detail, once I rotated the objects in Xara extrude.

The first image is the basic shape I used to create the fan coral object.

Michael

Name:	golden_fan_coral.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	101825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	golden_fan_coral.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	101821

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    It actually took longer than a minute to render the 3D views due to the graphic detail, once I rotated the objects in Xara extrude.
    Yes that waiting is familiar However that happens just at really a lot of details like in this case. Anyway so if the basic shapes stayed lines the advantage of that is so that the extrude does not need to be switched off to change their size, as the Extrude tool allows to change the line width without that