Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Cool Unusual uses for the Extrude tool :)

This ain't going to win any awards, but I wanted to post it because it's reasonable clever art.

99% of the noggin-work went into how a book would look at an oblique angle, and then I fussed with the Extrude tool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	open-book.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	101469

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 11 April 2014 at 02:31 PM.

Default Re: Open book

Looks great.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks, Larry. It's important, so an artist has more options with the Extrude tool, not to think of the face of the extrusion as the face of the final object. With the book, it's the bottom side of the shapes that gives the extrusion its distinctive look. A lot of times in real life, the profile can be more interesting and visually descriptive than the portrait.

-g

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I like that. My imagination is begining to churn!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

It looks great, the Extrude tool deserves much more attention than usual

Conceptually, you can also attain a marvelously interesting "3D" extruded shape if ytou think about things you see in real life that are essentially planar, with a little depth added.

Example?

Name:	4-10-2014 11-52-55 AM.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	101474

I've attached the original, but unextruded Xara file here to prompt some creative variations and stuff. :)

What else do we see around us that is either "flat" in its construction, or could be represented artistically as a flat extruded shape?

I think I did this in the mid 1990s, when my modeling tools were primitive compared to now. I didn't have anything to generate tree leaves, so I said to myself, "Self? The motif of this piece is cartoonish, so make the house and the trees flat, like cheaply painted stage props."

Name:	Attitude.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	101475

Sometimes, working with one hand tied behind your back forces your ingenuity to step forward and guide you to a result you might not have expected, but is pleasing to yourself and others as well.

I think that if I were to go back, and replace the trees and the house with more dimensional ones, the piece would lose some visual interest.

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Cool Gare Attitude can make a huge dfference.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

What else do we see around us that is either "flat" in its construction, or could be represented artistically as a flat extruded shape?
    How about some bread? Imagine if you could easily map some textures to an extrusion!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extruded bread_2.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	101484  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Frances, I love it.

This has developed from a Xara Art Gallery personal post into a thread on extruding approaches and techniques.

Might be worth migrating this to a different thread or renaming it. I started it. Any idea where this might go on tg, and what we should call it?

Here's a (painstaking, time-consuming) pic of a chicken trying to fly (and succeeding) before the time is right. You need and egg timer, but seriously, the wings are posed and angled shapes extruded and staged in front and behind one another and the egg itself is just an oval with a multi-stage elliptical gradient.And then a feathered (another opportunity for a pun here) Bleach mode shape to represent the cache lighting.

Name:	Flying-prematurely.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	101485

The clouds are a photo. I'm good, but not that good. :)

-g

I think the Xara Graphics Chat forum would be a good place. As to what to call the thread I'm not sure, perhaps something along the lines of "Extrusions: Approaches and Techniques"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]