Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 3-way fill question

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    this is not really a job for the fill tool as you do not want a gradient of colour, just three discrete bands
    You can use the linear gradient to make distinct bands if you use extra points, so use red, red, white, white, green, green, then slide the second red onto the first white and the second white onto the first green.

Tim you're correct. Except that for the stated purpose for the project, to Italianize some text with the Italian flag colors, using flat colored rectangles is a simpler solution.

H Tim - yes it's possible - but the thing about the flag is that they are discrete bands - flat uniform colour with no transitions - and that is more work with the fill gradient - I would think there would always be some colour variation and some transition, especially bearing in mind you cannot tweak the profile when you have more than two handles on the gradient

Gary, Loved it, and to boot if you put it together correctly you can fade between the colors with feathering. Thanks a bunch.
    Wichitaito: "Everything is Everything"

It is an alternative way to do stripes, and you can get a hard edge. When you slide one point over another it will flick over, so you then back off slightly. If that isn't as sharp as you want, you can always zoom in to be more accurate. One advantage is that you can copy the style more easily to other text or shapes than using background rectangles.

The attached file has a distinct delineation at the edges of the stripes on ITALIAN even when zoomed in, and a slightly less sharp edge at the horizon on CHROME.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Italian.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	101368

Italian.xar

well I never said you couldn't just thought it was more work, and I still do - one serious defect is that you cannot map any gradient to defined co-ordiates on the page, so if you want bands of defined width, you have messing about to do - but if you know a way of doing that that is simpler than using shapes, I'd be all ears

that said I like the way you did the 'italian' and you are right about style copying being easy

I have to agree with you o all eared, ignored one. Maybe more work but not much

Of course I probably would have done it the real hard way, but even that wouldn't have been any more work.

I like Gary's method, pretty cool.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

interesting that Gilbert wants to feather the bars.. guess you could mess about with transparencies in the fill method... again it is more work

but hey, like I said, I really like the way Tim has done the fill... the 'flipping over' of the fill handles is something for me to remember