Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Graphic designer help required

Hi,
    I am buying a computerized mount cutter and it has software that you use to design mounts for cutting. I want to display some of the mounts on my website for sale.

The supplied design software is very simple to use and is based a a vector type drawing program which then sends the finished design to the machine to cut.

The on screen display of the finished design is however very low res and a simple screen capture of the design is useless for the website as it is so pixilated on any edge that is not straight.

There are also with in the software directories with dozens of pre made designs but they are the same quality (samples attached)

The only way I can see round this is to redraw them and I need help in finding how to redraw them and show the shaded edges as in the samples to show the beveled edges.

What we are drawing for example is a outside rectangle of A4 size with 90 degree cut edges and and a inside section cut out of this a4 which measures 7x5 inches. the cut edges on this aperture are however cut at 45 degrees and this I need to represent.

I have a old version of xara photo and graphic designer 7 which I am sure is adequate for this simple job and I am in Bristol UK and would also be happy to meet any one who can help in in a hands on 1:1 fashion

thanks Alistair
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    alistair d w barclay

Default Re: Graphic designer help required

These should be very easy to recreate. They appear to be beveled shapes.

The yellow part is one beveled shape and the debossed center objects are a second shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	101218  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gary thank you the file has helped a lot, one question you said "the debossed center objects are a second shape." is debossing a tool I don't have ?

when I open your file I get a message saying some elements are missing as you have newer version?
    alistair d w barclay

Everything you need is in the file and does not use features on newer versions.

By deboss, I was indicating an emboss that gives the appearance of going in instead of coming forward. I created this effect by altering the Light Angle setting for the Emboss Tool to (I think I remember this correctly) to around 127 degrees. This makes the light source appear from the bottom right instead of the top left which is the default.

Do you not think Gary the software would need simple vector shapes and let the machines own software apply the bevels as it would be an instruction sent to the machine to cut at 45 degrees on the Z axis. Alistair you would need to tell us what sort of file your software accepts as there are loads of vector files & formats but the most popular in this area is DXF, postscript and SVG.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I was just replicating the image Alistair attached Peter.

The only way I can see round this is to redraw them and I need help in finding how to redraw them and show the shaded edges as in the samples to show the beveled edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Do you not think Gary the software would need simple vector shapes and let the machines own software apply the bevels as it would be an instruction sent to the machine to cut at 45 degrees on the Z axis. Alistair you would need to tell us what sort of file your software accepts as there are loads of vector files & formats but the most popular in this area is DXF, postscript and SVG.
    Looking at it the other way round, since it is apparently a vector based machine, if it were possible to export shapes developed in the machine they could be imported into Xara to save that part of the 'redraw' but I guess that export facility isn't available.
    Tony