Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Old Indian

Default An Old Indian

1919 Indian motorcycle in an old hack's garage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1919indian.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	101142  
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Default Re: An Old Indian

Handsome to the extreme Ron.

Thoughts and suggestions. The floor in the garage would probably not be reflective.

And to make the motorcycle pop, make the background a lot darker and less in focus. You can easily create a bitmap copy of the background and then use the Photo Tool > Enhance settings to decrease the Brightness and use the Blur/Sharpen slider to soften the details on the background.

Just my two cents. As usual.

I don't know but to me it looks like a shadow coming forward not a reflection, but Gary has a good point about the background. All in all I like it Ron. The thing I wonder about is the black shape on the floor, it's feathered so it can't be old dirty oil, and, it's not connected to the shadow so what is it?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I am rather for leaving the background with light It is a garage with an old motorcycle, so maybe nothing should pop out, eventually only those parts which are renovated.

But the reflection and shadow, those seems really something yet to form. Anyway it looks great, these words are just 1% beside the superb looking 99%

Great drawing of the bike Ron! If it was me that was doing it Ron and I wanted the garage as a background I would reduce the lighting on it. The vice looks too new, the roofing square is not right angles and the wall boards the light is too regular on it. Say if instead of the oil can you put in a shaded light that would take your eye off the bench and tools and focus it on the bike. Sorry to be so negative but in my opinion if I was trying to sell this print it would be the bike that sells it. Anyway you want to try and create more atmosphere in the picture. I take my vectors frequently into PhotoShop to give them that dirty look as it is the best programme to do this.
    Design is thinking made visual.

All great observations! I will work to incorporate them.

Xara's Facebook

Ok. Here's an attempt to apply what I think were the most exquisite observations/suggestions.
    Let me know what you think.
    (can't believe I didn't have a right angle on that square!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1919indian.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	101143  

Xara's Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    And to make the motorcycle pop, make the background a lot darker and less in focus.
    Sorry Gary you were right, of course. Because this darker version really looks better

Bike looks really excellent but I will have to admit that can still not figure out that thing below the bike, so I would just remove it.

Another suggestion: Change the colour of the bike to British racing green so it will stand out better from the background and do that awesome bike more justice.

That looks much better Ron. Darkening the background really helped and now I can tell that that dark blob on the floor was supposed to be oil. I think that dark spot on the floor bothered me the most.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.